|This article does not cite any sources. (February 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Studio album by Kate & Anna McGarrigle|
|Released||September 3, 1996|
|Recorded||1995-1996 at Le Studio, Morin Heights, Quebec|
|Label||Hannibal Records HNCD 1394|
|Producer||Pierre Marchand, Joe Boyd, Michel Pepin, Roma Baran|
|Kate & Anna McGarrigle chronology|
|Chicago Tribune||(favorable) link|
|Entertainment Weekly||(B+) link|
|Los Angeles Times||(favorable) link|
Matapédia is the seventh album by Kate & Anna McGarrigle, released in 1996.
Kate's daughter Martha Wainwright appears on the album as a backing vocalist; she is also directly mentioned in the lyrics of the title track.
The title "Matapédia" refers to the river in eastern Quebec which runs down to the town of Matapédia and then out into baie des Chaleurs. The rhythm of the river is supposed to be the inspiration for the loping beat of the album's title track.
The album won the Juno Award for Roots & Traditional Album of the Year - Group at the Juno Awards of 1997.
- "Matapedia" (Kate McGarrigle) – 4:52
- "Goin' Back to Harlan" (Anna McGarrigle) – 4:59
- "I Don't Know" (Kate McGarrigle) – 4:28
- "Hang Out Your Heart" (K. & A. McGarrigle/Philippe Tatartcheff/Chaim Tannenbaum) – 4:27
- "Arbre" (Anna McGarrigle/Philippe Tatartcheff) – 3:14
- "Jacques et Gilles" (Kate McGarrigle) – 4:27
- "Why Must We Die" (K. & A. McGarrigle/Joel Zifkin) – 5:32
- "Song for Gaby" (Anna McGarrigle) – 2:55
- "Talk About It" (K. & A. McGarrigle) – 5:50
- "The Bike Song" (Anna McGarrigle) – 3:54
- Kate McGarrigle: Vocals, harmony vocals, chorus, banjo, piano, celeste, synthesizer
- Anna McGarrigle: Vocals, harmony vocals, chorus, guitar, keyboards, piano, harpsichord, synthesizer
- Pierre Marchand: Keyboards, accordion, drums, production
- Pat Donaldson: Guitar, bass
- Michel Pépin: Guitar, dobro, bass, percussions, back up vocals
- Andrew Cowan: Guitar
- Joel Zifkin: Violin, fiddle, back up vocals
- Gilles Losier: Violin
- Sylvain Clavet: Drums, percussions
- Mike DiNardo: Drums
- Gordie Adamson: Drums
- Lily Lanken: Harmony vocals
- Martha Wainwright: Harmony Vocals
- "Kate & Anna McGarrigle – Matapedia". discogs.com.
- fRroots Reviews Index: 'M': McGarrigle, Kate & Anna – Matapedia (Hannibal) Issue #160, fRoots magazine website