The name "Matarau" means many points or many spears.
Matarau School is a coeducational full primary school (years 1-8) with a decile rating of 9 and a roll of 204. Otakairanga School amalgamated with Matarau School in 1949, and Ruatangata West School also closed in favour of Matarau in 1973. The present school changed its name to Matarau School in 1963, and the centennial of schooling in the area was celebrated in 1978.
- Peter Dowling (editor) (2004). Reed New Zealand Atlas. Reed Books. pp. map 7. ISBN 0-7900-0952-8.
- Roger Smith, GeographX (2005). The Geographic Atlas of New Zealand. Robbie Burton. pp. map 24. ISBN 1-877333-20-4.
- "Education Review Report:Matarau School". Education Review Office. January 2006.
- "School History". Matarau School.
- "Te Kete Ipurangi - Matarau School". Ministry of Education.
- National Library of New Zealand (1983). New Zealand National Bibliography. p. 102.
|This Northland Region-related geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|