Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Stephen Belber|
|Produced by||David Permut|
|Written by||Stephen Belber|
|Edited by||Madeleine Gavin|
Tilted Windmill Productions
|Distributed by||IFC Films|
Match is a 2014 American drama film written and directed by Stephen Belber, based on his 2004 play of the same name. The film stars Patrick Stewart, Carla Gugino and Matthew Lillard. The film was released on January 14, 2015, by IFC Films.
The film revolves around Tobi, a middle-aged ex-dancer now working as a ballet instructor at the Juilliard School in New York City. He is asked for an interview by husband and wife Mike and Lisa, who claim they are preparing a dissertation on the dance community of the 1960s. Through the course of the interview, Mike's questions keep getting more and more personal. He finally reveals that he suspects that Tobi is his biological father, as indicated by Mike's mother on her deathbed. When Tobi denies this, Mike forcefully takes a DNA sample from Tobi and rushes to a police lab, where his friend Jim performs a DNA test.
Outraged by Mike's violence, Lisa stays to help Tobi clean up the mess Mike made. She bonds with Tobi as a person and Tobi reveals that he knows he is Mike's father, but denied it out of shame. He had abandoned the boy for his career. He also reveals that he paid a part of Mike's college tuition for college. When Mike returns to take Lisa home, the three have an argument. Tobi tells Mike to treat his wife well. After further argument, in which Mike tells Tobi he chose to make his life so that no one loves him, the pair leave. Lisa convinces Tobi to tell Mike the truth. He also invites the pair for brunch the next day.
On their way to Tobi's house the next morning, Mike is called by Jim, who tells him that the DNA was not a match. When Lisa and Mike tell Tobi this, he has a nervous breakdown, and politely asks them to let him be alone. As the movie ends, Tobi is heard calling friends to take them up on an offer of a dinner party.
- Patrick Stewart as Tobi Powell
- Carla Gugino as Lisa
- Matthew Lillard as Mike
- Maduka Steady as Cabbie
- Jaime Tirelli as Raul
- Rob Yang as Jim
Match received positive reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 75%, based on 20 reviews, with an average rating of 6.3/10. On Metacritic, the film has a rating of 62 out of 100, based on 17 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Match". January 14, 2015. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Match (2015) - Box Office Mojo". boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Zach Dionne (January 17, 2013). "Match Casts Patrick Stewart, Carla Gugino". Vulture.com. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Patrick Stewart has a secret past in Tribeca movie 'Match' - Inside Movies - EW.com". EW.com. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Match Trailer Starring Patrick Stewart". Slashfilm. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Match". Rotten Tomatoes. January 16, 2015. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- "Match Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved March 30, 2016.