Mater Health Services
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Headquarters||Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
Mater Health Services is a public and private collocated hospital and health care provider located in and around the corner of Stanley Street and Annerley Road (known as Clarence Corner), South Brisbane, Queensland. Australia. Mater Health Services provides care for some 500,000 patients each year. The Mater was established in 1906 by the Sisters of Mercy. In 2002, Mater Health Services became an incorporated body, charged with the responsibility to continue the Mission of the Sisters of Mercy to “offer compassionate service to the sick and needy.”
The first Mater Hospital opened in a private house, "Aubigny", at North Quay in 1906. The house was converted into a 20-bed private hospital. In 1911, the funds generated by the first Mater Private Hospital, and its successor at South Brisbane, allowed the Sisters of Mercy to open a free public hospital for the city of Brisbane.
In 1931, the Mater Children’s Hospital was opened treating over 8,266 patients in its first year of operation. The Mater Mothers’ Hospital was officially opened in 1960 accommodating for 140 mothers.
- Mater was established in 1906 by the Sisters of Mercy.
- In 1919 Queensland’s first hospital laboratory was established at the Mater.
- In 1928, the Mater Public Hospital installed Queensland’s first deep X-ray therapy machine to treat cancer patients.
- In 1931 Mater opened the 80 bed Mater Children’s Hospital — the first Children’s Hospital south of the Brisbane river.
- In 1954 Mater established Queensland’s first Neurological Department.
- Also in 1954, eastern Australia’s first ‘Eye Bank’ opened at the Mater.
- In 1967 blood transfusions were performed on a baby in utero for the first time in Queensland.
- In 1987 Mater Children’s Hospital established Queensland’s first paediatric sleep unit.
- In 1989 the Mater Private Priority Emergency Centre was opened — the first in any Queensland hospital.
- In 1998, the Mater Children’s Private Hospital opens becoming Australia’s first private paediatric facility.
- In 2000, Mater Private Hospital — Redland is officially opened.
- In 2006 Mater Health Services becomes the first institution to win a Queensland Greats award
- In 2008 the new Mater Mothers' Hospitals opened on the South Brisbane campus
- In 2010 Mater Private Hospital Brisbane has become the first private hospital in Queensland to launch an automatic notification system for tissue donation.
- In 2014 Mater Children's Hospital closed after 83 years service. Mater Children's Private Brisbane is still operational.
- In mid-2014, Mater Health Services joined with 7 other organisations to form the Brisbane Diamantina Health Partners, with the aim to work collaboratively to improve health outcomes through the integration of research, education and clinical delivery.
- In mid-2015 Mater Centre for Neurosciences opened
- In October 2015 Mater Private Hospital Springfield opened
- Mater Children's Private Brisbane
- Mater Mothers' Private Brisbane
- Mater Private Hospital Brisbane
- Mater Private Hospital Redland
- Mater Private Hospital Springfield
- Mater Hospital Brisbane (formerly Mater Adult Hospital)
- Mater Children's Hospital (closed November 29, 2014)
- Mater Mothers' Hospital
- "The State Library of Queensland virtual exhibition item: "Aubigny," Brisbane". 2008-03-31. Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- "Debate.org: Mater Health Services". Archived from the original on 2014-01-07. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Queensland Greats Awards winners". Archived from the original on 2008-07-28. Retrieved 2008-11-30.
- "The Courier Mail article: They make state great". 2006-05-31. Retrieved 2008-11-03.[dead link]