Mater Private Hospital
The Mater Private Hospital (MPH) is a private Catholic hospital in Ireland. Founded in 1986, it shares a campus on Eccles Street, Dublin 7, with its sister public hospital, the Mater Misercordiae Hospital. Its mission statement is "to continue the healing mission of Christ by providing the highest quality healthcare in an independent tertiary acute care facility, complementary to the services provided by the Mater Misericordiae Hospital".
The Mater Private Hospital is built on the site of No 7 Eccles Street, the home of the main character (Leopold Bloom) in James Joyce's Ulysses. In Joyce's youth, No 7 Eccles Street was the actual home of his contemporary, JF Byrne.
MPH provides a variety of services and procedures including: orthopaedic surgery, cardio-thoracic surgery, plastic surgery, general surgery, dermatology, dietetics, gynaecology, a sleep laboratory, oncology, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, rheumatology, cardiology, paediatric surgery, aviation medicine, ear, nose and throat surgery, ophthalmology, intensive care medicine and neurosurgery.
MPH is 50% owned by London-based private equity firm CapVest. Patients may be self-paying, covered by private health insurance, or funded under the state's National Treatment Purchase Fund (NTPF). In 2010, the hospital received €23 million in NTPF funds, the largest payment to any single institution. In 2011 it was announced that the NTPF programme would be wound down.
- Byrne, J.F. (1953). Silent Years – an autobiography with memoirs of James Joyce and our Ireland. New York: Farrar, Strauss and Young. p. 89.
- Molloy, Thomas (30 May 2011). "Valeo to take over Jacob Fruitfield in €300m sales bid". Irish Independent.
- Gartland, Fiona (4 June 2011). "Private hospitals warn of job cuts if EUR 78m fund ceases". The Irish Times.
- O'Regan, Eilish (1 June 2011). "Minister pulls plug on patient treatment fund for new unit". Irish Independent.
- "Joint Commission International (JCI) Accredited Organizations". Joint Commission International. Retrieved 2011-06-23.