Caramelo in 2016
|Full name||Mateus Lucena dos Santos|
|Date of birth||30 August 1994|
|Place of birth||Clementina, Brazil|
|Date of death||28 November 2016(aged 22)|
|Place of death||La Unión, Colombia|
|Height||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|2014||→ Atlético Goianiense (loan)||13||(1)|
|2015||→ Chapecoense (loan)||4||(0)|
|2016||→ Chapecoense (loan)||3||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Caramelo was one of the victims when LaMia Airlines Flight 2933 crashed on 28 November 2016.
Born in Clementina, São Paulo, Caramelo joined Mogi Mirim's youth setup in 2009, aged 14. On 21 April 2013 he made his senior debut, starting in a 1–0 Campeonato Paulista home win against São Paulo.
Caramelo remained as a starter in the following two matches, a 6–0 routing of Botafogo-SP and a 1–1 draw against Santos, with his side being knocked out in the semifinals after a penalty shootout.
Atlético Goianiense (loan)
Rerely used by Tricolor in the previous campaign, Caramelo signed a one-year loan deal with Atlético Goianiense. A starter during the club's Campeonato Goiano winning campaign, he was demoted to second-choice during the year's Série B.
Caramelo's first professional goal came on 3 October 2014, in a 1–1 away draw against América Mineiro.
On 28 November 2016, whilst at the service of Chapecoense, Caramelo was among the fatalities of the LaMia Airlines Flight 2933 accident in the Colombian village of Cerro Gordo, La Unión, Antioquia.
- As of 27 November 2016
|Mogi Mirim||2013||Série C||0||0||3||0||—||—||—||3||0|
|São Paulo||2013||Série A||3||0||—||—||0||0||0||0||3||0|
|Atlético Goianiense||2014||Série B||13||1||10||0||1||0||—||—||24||1|
- "Sonolento, líder São Paulo perde, e Mogi Mirim conquista vice-liderança" [Sleepy, leader São Paulo lose, and Mogi Mirim get the second place] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 21 April 2013. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Mogi goleia Botafogo e enfrenta Santos pelas semifinais do Paulista" [Mogi thrash Botafogo and face Santos in the semifinals of the Paulista] (in Portuguese). Folha de S. Paulo. 12 April 2013. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Rafael brilha nos pênaltis mais uma vez, Santos bate o Mogi e vai à final" [Rafael shines on penalties again, Santos defeat Mogi and go to the final] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 4 May 2013. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Tricolor contrata Roni e Mateus Caramelo" [Tricolor sign Roni and Mateus Caramelo] (in Portuguese). São Paulo FC. 17 May 2013. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Goiás vence São Paulo no Morumbi, e torcida tricolor pede volta de Muricy" [Goiás defeat São Paulo at the Morumbi, and the tricolor crowds calls for Muricy's return] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 6 June 2013. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Pouco aproveitado no São Paulo, Caramelo é emprestado ao Atlético-GO" [Rarely used at São Paulo, Caramelo is loaned to Atlético-GO] (in Portuguese). ESPN Brasil. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Apresentado na Chapecoense, Mateus Caramelo rebate brincadeira de Apodi" [Presented at Chapecoense, Mateus Caramelo rebukes Apodi's joke] (in Portuguese). ESPN Brasil. 13 January 2015. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Chapecoense acerta com Mateus Caramelo, do São Paulo, até o fim do ano" [Chapecoense sign Mateus Caramelo, from São Paulo, until the end of the year] (in Portuguese). UOL Esporte. 5 August 2016. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- ""Para mim ele está vivo", diz pai do lateral Mateus Caramelo, da Chape" ["To me he is alive", says father of full back Mateus Caramelo, of Chape] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 29 November 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- Caramelo at Soccerway. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- "CONMEBOL otorga el título de campeón de la Sudamericana 2016 a Chapecoense y reconoce a Atlético Nacional con el premio del centenario de la CONMEBOL al Fair Play" [CONMEBOL awards 2016 Sudamericana champion title to Chapecoense and bestows Atlético Nacional with CONMEBOL century Fair Play award] (in Spanish). CONMEBOL. 5 December 2016. Archived from the original on 6 December 2016. Retrieved 13 December 2016.