Mateus Galiano da Costa
|Full name||Mateus Galiano da Costa|
|Date of birth||19 June 1984|
|Place of birth||Luanda, Angola|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11 May 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 24 June 2019
Mateus was born in Luanda. After started playing professionally for modest Portuguese teams (he had a stint with Sporting CP, but never moved past their reserves), he signed in January 2006 with Gil Vicente F.C. of the Primeira Liga. He scored in his debut on 5 February, in a 5–0 home win against Vitória de Setúbal.
However, Mateus was at the centre of a judicial controversy that erupted in Portuguese football, known as Caso Mateus (Mateus Affair), after a supposedly illegal registration by the Barcelos club. Following a lengthy judicial battle between Gil and C.F. Os Belenenses, the former were relegated.
After an uneventful season with Gil Vicente in the second division, greatly delayed by the legal consequences, Mateus joined Boavista F.C. for the 2007–08 campaign. His new team was also eventually relegated, due to irregularities.
In 2008–09, Mateus moved to Madeira's C.D. Nacional, being an important attacking element – whether as starter or from the bench – as they eventually qualified for the UEFA Europa League. He continued to be regularly played for the better part of the following years, notably netting nine goals in 24 matches in the 2011–12 season.
He also added three substitute appearances in the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations, as the Palancas Negras reached the quarter-finals.
- As of 12 October 2018 (Angola score listed first, score column indicates score after each Mateus goal)
- Gil Vicente-V. Setúbal, 5–0: Grande treino do Gil (Gil Vicente-V. Setúbal, 5–0: Great Gil training); Record, 6 February 2006 (in Portuguese)
- "Caso Mateus": Gil Vicente pede explicações ("Mateus Affair": Gil Vicente ask for explanations); Record, 11 July 2006 (in Portuguese)
- Belenenses spared the drop; UEFA, 22 August 2006
- Gil Vicente fica na Liga de Honra (Gil Vicente stay in Honour League); Record, 15 January 2007 (in Portuguese)
- Porto docked points, Boavista demoted; UEFA, 9 May 2008
- Nacional: Mateus assina por quatro anos com acordo do Boavista (Nacional: Mateus signs for four years after Boavista agree); Mais Futebol, 17 June 2008 (in Portuguese)
- Angola 0–1 Portugal; BBC Sport, 11 June 2006
- "Mateus – Matches". Soccerway. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "Mateus Galiano da Costa – International Appearances". RSSSF. Retrieved 10 March 2017.