|Birth name||Sharon Mathai|
|Born||November 27, 1992|
Queens, New York, U.S.
|Origin||Dallas, Texas, United States|
Trained in jazz during her childhood, Mathai started developing her vocal style around the age of sixteen with a sound reminiscent of Billie Holiday, Norah Jones, Nelly Furtado, and Adele, although two of her biggest influences are Johnny Cash and Amy Winehouse.
Sharon Mathai was born on November 27, 1992 in Queens, New York, Mathai to parents from Kerala, India. Being the first generation of her family born in the United States, her stage name is the name Mathai, which is the name 'Matthew' in Malayalam, as derived from Hebrew. She started singing at age three, primarily in church events, and at when she was ten, her family moved to Dallas, Texas. Mathai attended Coppell High School and Texas Women's University.
During the winter of 2010 she had the opportunity to perform during the AMTC convention in Orlando, Florida where she was discovered by two entertainment executives, and soon took a break from school to move to Atlanta to pursue her music career.
In late 2010 she auditioned for The Glee Project, a spin-off from the television series GLEE on FOX. After advancing to the final round, she did not make the cast, but she was convinced that singing was what she wanted to do.
In November 2011, on a dare from friends, Mathai auditioned for Season 2 of the talent competition series, The Voice on NBC. After making it through the blind auditions, her rendition of "Rumor Has It" by Adele's caused coaches (Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, and Cee-Lo Green) to turn around and woo her to join their team. Mathai joined Team Adam and over the next several weeks continued to advance before being eliminated after making the top ten.
After The Voice
Mathai collaborated with Lecrae on the track "Free From it All" from Gravity, which was released September 4, 2012 and peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200. The album won the Grammy Award for Best Gospel Album.
Mathai's EP, Girl Like Me, was released on July 4, 2013. Her debut single, "Once Again," was released on March 25, 2013. The EP was written and produced by Mathai and Grammy Award-winning producers Dru Castro and Pierre Medor.
- "Success Stories: Mathai". Actors, Models, and Talent for Christ. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "US music show: Indian-American makes it to the top 24". The Times of India. 30 March 2012. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "Extraordinary People: An Afternoon with Mathai ("The Voice")". Vertigo Shtick. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- Gallo, Phil. "'The Voice' Recap: Mathai Delivers Awe-Inspiring 'Rumour Has It'". Billboard. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "'The Voice' Contestant Mathai Crushed Her Performance – AND She's From Georgia! She Calls The Bert Show To Spill What It Was Like On Stage". The Bert Show. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- Jaffer, Murtz. "The Voice 2012: Exclusive Exit Interview With Mathai". Inside Pulse. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "Lecrae 'Gravity' Tracklisting Revealed" (Web). Rapzilla. July 24, 2012. Retrieved July 24, 2012.
- Caulfield, Keith (September 12, 2012). "Matchbox Twenty Gets First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart" (Web). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- Nessif, Bruna (December 5, 2012). "55th Annual Grammy Awards: Complete List of Nominees" (Web). E!. NBCUniversal. Retrieved December 9, 2012.