This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mathematical Kangaroo (also known as International Mathematical Kangaroo, or Kangourou sans frontières in French) is an international mathematical competition where over 50 countries are represented. There are twelve levels of participation, ranging from grade 1 to grade 12. The competition is held annually on the third Thursday of March. According to the organizers, the key competence tested by Mathematical Kangaroo is logical combination, not just pure knowledge of formulas.
It is the largest competition for school students in the world, with over 5,000,000 participants from 47 countries in 2009.
The competition was established in 1991 by André Deledicq, a professor of mathematics at the University of Paris 7, and Jean-Pierre Boudine, professor of mathematics at Marseille. The idea comes from the Australian Mathematics Competition, initiated in 1978 by Peter O'Halloran. It is based on multiple-choice questions (MCQs), which were rarely used in France at that time, at least in mathematics. For this competition, Jean-Pierre Boudine and André Deledicq were awarded the 1994 d'Alembert prize of the Mathematical Society of France.
The competition is a multiple choice test that runs for 75 minutes. It consists of 24 questions for students up to 4th grade, and 30 questions for other students. The sections for 3 point, 4 point, and 5 point questions are equally divided. The minimum score is 0. The maximum score is 96 points for students up to 4th grade, and 120 points for other students. There is no penalty for any incorrect answer, and no penalty for skipping a question.
Evaluation and collecting of results as well as the prizes are regulated and organized nationally. Special prizes are given for the “longest kangaroo jump” (i.e., the highest number of consecutive correct answers) for each school.
- Міжнародний математичний конкурс «Кенгуру» Ukraine
- math kangaroo Iran
- Kangourou Sans Frontières official site
- Känguru der Mathematik Austria
- Thales Foundation Cyprus
- Klokan bez granica Croatia
- Διεθνής Μαθηματικός Διαγωνισμός "Καγκουρό" Greece
- Le Kangourou des Mathématiques France
- Känguru der Mathematik Germany
- Math Kangaroo Canada
- Nemzetközi Kenguru Matematika Verseny Hungary
- Kangourou Italia Italy
- Wiskunde Kangoeroe The Netherlands
- Kangoeroe Vlaanderen Flanders
- Kangur Matematyczny Poland
- Kenguru Russia
- Math Kangaroo United States
- Kangourou Sans Frontieres Pakistan (KSF PAKISTAN) Pakistan
- Kangaroo >> IKMC in Pakistan Pakistan
- Kengūra Lithuania
- Matematický klokan Czech Republic
- Matematický klokan Slovakia
- Mednarodni matematični Kenguru Slovenia
- Кенгуру Математикийн Уралдаан Монгол
- El Canguro Matemático Castilla y León (Spain)
- El Cangur Catalunya, País Valencià, Balears (Spain)
- Cangurul Matematic Romania
- Matemaatikavõistlus Känguru Estonia
- Kängurun - Matematikens Hopp Sweden
- Kangaroo in Armenia Armenia
- Kengur bez granica Serbia
- Math Kangaroo Malaysia Malaysia
- Canguru de Matemática Brasil Brazil