A mathematical theory is a mathematical model that is based on axioms. A theory can be a body of knowledge, and so in this sense a "mathematical theory" refers to an area of mathematical research. This is related to, but distinct from, the idea of mathematical models. Branches of mathematics like group theory and number theory are examples of this.
- List of mathematical theories
- Unifying theories in mathematics
- Theorem, a statement with a mathematical proof
- Langlands, Robert P. (January 2010). "Is there beauty in mathematical theories?" (PDF).
- Boero, Paolo. "Approaching Mathematical Theories in Junior High School". Dipartimento di Matematica, Università di Genova.
- Corry, Leo. "Reflexive Thinking in Mathematics: Formal and Non-formal Aspects" (PDF). Tel Aviv.
- Citizendium editors. "Theory (mathematics)".CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
|This mathematics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|