Matheson House (Gainesville, Florida)
|Architectural style||Frame Vernacular with Greek Revival elements|
|NRHP Reference #||73000564|
|Added to NRHP||June 4, 1973|
The Matheson House is a historic building in Gainesville, Florida, United States. It is located at 528 Southeast 1st Avenue. It was the home of eight-term mayor Chris Matheson, who was also a state legislator. The building is now part of the Matheson Museum, which recounts the history of Alachua County. On June 4, 1973, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The house is open by appointment only.
The Matheson house was constructed in 1857 by the Matheson family from Camden, South Carolina. While it was unoccupied during the civil war, James Douglas Matheson moved into it 1867 with his wife, Augusta Florida Steele. Their son, Christopher Matheson, later inherited the house. Christopher's widow, Sarah Hamilton Matheson, would eventually deed the house to the Matheson Museum shortly before her death in 1996.
The House combines South Carolina plantation architecture on the first floor with Classic Revival raised cottage architecture on the later added second floor. The roof and interior stairway have gothic design elements, and the house possesses a gambrel roof uncommon to Florida.
- "National Register of Historical Places - Florida (FL), Alachua County". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-03-25.
- "Alachua County Listings". Florida's History Through Its Places. Florida's Office of Cultural and Historical Programs. 2007-03-25. Archived from the original on 2006-03-26.
- Matheson Museum - The Museum Complex
- “Florida Historical Markers Program – Marker: Alachua” Florida Department of State Division of Historical Resources, October 26, 2014
- “Sarah Hamilton Matheson, Benefactor” The Gainesville Sun October 26, 2014
- “The Matheson House” Alachua County Historic Trust Matheson Museum, Inc. October 26, 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matheson House (Gainesville, Florida).|
- Official website
- Alachua County Department of Growth Management
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. FL-395, "Matheson House, 528 Southeast First Avenue, Gainesville, Alachua County, FL", 13 measured drawings
|This article about a property in Alachua County, Florida on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|