||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Mathew Cullen grew up in Inglewood, California. He founded Los Angeles-based production company Motion Theory at 23. Since then, he has overseen the production of 500+ projects, and directed and produced over 100 commercials and music videos, including global campaigns for HP, IBM, Google, and Disney. He has worked with artists such as Adele, Jay-Z, Katy Perry, Green Day, Taylor Swift, Pink, Beck and R.E.M.. Cullen won two consecutive Grammy Awards for directing The Black Eyed Peas’ “Boom Boom Pow” and Weezer's “Pork and Beans", the most blogged-about YouTube video of 2008. His work on “Pork and Beans" earned him a Guinness World Record for most memes in a video. In 2014, Cullen reunited with Katy Perry to win Best Video at the MTV Europe Music Awards and Best Female Video at the MTV Video Music Awards for "Dark Horse", the most watched music video of the year with over one billion views.
Cullen was listed on Rolling Stone's annual “Hot List” for his work as a music video director, as well as Indiewire's 2013 Influencers List. Wired called him one of six directors who are making music videos cool again. His work has been inducted into the Museum of Modern Art on over a dozen occasions. Motion Theory was profiled in Fast Company as being one of the most innovative companies in the industry.
In 2013, he designed and directed the prologue to Guillermo del Toro's film Pacific Rim. In September 2013, he began directing the feature film London Fields, based on the novel by Martin Amis, starring Billy Bob Thornton, Amber Heard, Jim Sturgess, Theo James, Johnny Depp, Cara Delevingne and Jaimie Alexander. Cullen is attached to direct and produce a supernatural thriller at DreamWorks, and has films in development at Warner Brothers and Paramount.
He teamed up with filmmaker Guillermo del Toro, Academy Award winning cinematographer Guillermo Navarro, and executive producer Javier Jimenez to launch Mirada Studios, “a studio designed for storytellers" in 2010. Mirada is equal parts design studio, visual effects and animation facility, technology incubator, development and production company. Under his creative direction, Mirada has launched a number of multiplatform storytelling experiences, including the IBM THINK Exhibit installation at the Lincoln Center, the Ro.me interactive music video, and MirrorWorld, a living storybook app for author Cornelia Funke's book series.
Mathew currently serves on the Board of Directors for Film Independent.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- 2014 MTV EMA Video of the Year, Katy Perry "Dark Horse"
- 2014 MTV VMA Best Female Artist, Katy Perry "Dark Horse"
- 2014 MTV VMA Best Collaboration Nominee, Katy Perry "Dark Horse"
- 2010 MTV EMA Video of the Year Nominee, Katy Perry "California Gurls"
- 2010 Emmy Award-Commercial, NFL Network "Run"
- 2009 Grammy Best Short Form Music Video, Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow"
- 2008 Grammy Best Short Form Music Video, Weezer "Pork and Beans"
- 2008 MTV EMA Video of the Year Nominee, Weezer "Pork and Beans"
- 2008 Guinness World Record,"Most Internet Memes in a Music Video" for Weezer's "Pork and Beans"
- 2008 MTV VMA Best Editing Nominee, Weezer "Pork and Beans"
- 2008 MTV VMA Best Choreography Nominee, Adele "Chasing Pavements"
- "Mathew Cullen and Javier Jimenez". LA Weekly. May 14, 2008.