9 May 1982 |
Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||175 cm (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||78 kg (12 st 4 lb)|
|2003–2007||St. George Illawarra||57||7||95||1||219|
|2009||St. George Illawarra||10||0||0||0||0|
|Source: NRL Stats & RLP|
Mathew Head (born 9 May 1982 in Wagga Wagga, New South Wales) is an Australian professional rugby league player for the St. George Illawarra Dragons. He previously played for the Wests Tigers in the National Rugby League (NRL) and Hull in Super League. He primarily plays at half-back.
St. George Illawarra Dragons
Head's career has been plagued by recurring knee injuries. However, when not injured he is known for his consistency and his ability to set up points and he adds spark in attack for his team. He also was the number one goal converter prior to his knee injuries.
In November 2007, after announcing his desire to return to Australia, Head was signed by the Wests Tigers on a one-year contract. Fitness levels and injuries again limited his time on field during the 2008 season.
Return to the St. George Illawarra Dragons
In August 2008, Head agreed to a return to the Dragons in 2009. Since being signed by St George Illawarra, Head was generally assigned to play for St George Illawarra's feeder club (the Shellharbour Dragons) in the position of halfback or five-eighth, rather than first grade. His contract with the Dragons was not renewed and he has since returned to his junior team Dapto Canaries and became their captain coach in the 2010 season.
- First Grade Debut: Round 3, St George Illawarra v Canberra, Canberra Stadium, 29 March 2003
- "2009 NRL Player Movements". NRL Live. 2008-10-04. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- "Half-back Head makes Hull switch". BBC. 2007-06-25. Retrieved 2007-06-25.
- "Head Heads For Hull". SportingLife. 2007-06-25. Retrieved 2007-06-25.
- "Mathew heads to Leichhardt". Fox Sports News (Australia). 2007-12-05. Retrieved 2007-12-05.
- Glenn Jackson and Andrew Stevenson (2008-08-27). "Mathew's leaving, more heads to roll". Fox Sports News (Australia). Retrieved 2008-08-30.[dead link]
- "Luke Priddis, Mathew Head set to ignite Shellharbour". Illawarra Mercury. 2009-07-25.
- "NSW Cup Previews (including Central Coast Storm v Shellharbour)". Rleague. 2009-03-21.
- "Doubts raised over Mathew Head's future". Illawarra Mercury. 2009-04-06.