||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
January 9, 1952 |
Gadsden, Alabama, U.S.
|Education||Fisk University (BA), (BS), (PhD)
Cornerstone Christian Bible College (MBA), (PhD)
(m. 1980; div. 2011)
Gena C. Avery
Mathew Knowles (born January 9, 1952) is a record label owner, Best-selling author, talent manager, college professor and businessman. He is best known for being the manager of Destiny's Child. He also managed his daughters Beyoncé and Solange Knowles. He is the ex-husband of Tina Knowles, and father-in-law of Jay Z.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Knowles began his business career in sales of office and medical equipment. He moved to Houston in 1976 and worked for the Xerox Corporation for 10 years, primarily in the medical-systems sales division. Knowles afterward worked selling a CT/MRI diagnostic imaging equipment to hospitals and health facilities. He also worked in neurosurgical sales. In 1992 Knowles left this career to devote himself to his music company, Music World Entertainment, which he founded that year.
Knowles established several recording imprints under Music World Entertainment, including Music World Gospel, Music World Kids, and Music World Country/Compadre. Knowles also established joint ventures with Sony Music, Interscope/Geffen/A&M, Fontana/Universal, Integrity Africa, Fontana International, and Sony Brazil.
In 2002 Knowles founded Spirit Rising Music, which became Music World Gospel. Its artists include Vanessa Bell Armstrong, Brian Courtney Wilson, Micah Stampley, Juanita Bynum, Le'Andria Johnson, Amber Bullock, Andrea Helms, Trinitee 5:7, and Elder Goldwire. In 2016, through Music World Music, Knowles acquired the country music catalog Compadre, which includes Johnny Cash, Billy Joe Shaver, James McMurty, Trent Willmon, and Kate Campbell. Knowles also launched the family-oriented music imprint, Music World Kids. The label has released youth projects that include Baby Jamz, Krazy Kuzins, Kid's Rap Radio, and the Music World Kids CD 5-pack. The venture also has released music from Nickelodeon's popular cartoon series, Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!.
Knowles became manager of the vocal group Destiny's Child, working as either a producer or an executive producer on many of the group's projects. Under Music World Artist Management, Destiny's Child became a top-selling group, winning several awards include the Grammy Award, the American Music Award, BET Awards, and many others. Billboard magazine inducted the group into the All Time Hot 100 Artists. Following the departure of his daughter Beyoncé from the group, Knowles managed the solo careers of the other members of Destiny's Child, Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland.
In addition to his work in music, Knowles is also one of the executive producers of the 2009 movie Obsessed, which stars Beyoncé. He is also executive producer of, and is featured in, two reality series: The UK's Chancers, and MTV International's Breaking From Above.
In October 2015, Mathew Knowles released his first book, "The DNA Of Achievers: 10 Traits of Highly Successful Professionals". In an interview with Madamenoire.com, he spoke about teaching entrepreneurship on the college level, and his entertainment industry seminars.
Knowles was raised in Gadsden, Alabama, the son of Lou Helen and Mathew Knowles. He is a 1974 graduate of Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee, where he earned both a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration. Additionally Knowles has an MBA from Cornerstone Christian Bible College for Strategic Leadership and Organizational Culture. Knowles is a visiting professor at Texas Southern University, where he teaches courses on the entertainment industry in the School of Communications. Knowles is the recipient of the Century Award of Excellence (1911–2011) from the Omega Psi Phi fraternity. He also received the 2011 Living Legends Foundation Award and was named the "2007 International Executive of the Year" by the Greater Houston Partnership. Knowles is an active and longtime voting member of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS) and serves on its GRAMMY Board Committee. In 2011, he was appointed to the Board of Directors of the Gospel Music Association.
- Video on YouTube
- Norment, Lynn (September 2001). "THE UNTOLD STORY OF HOW Tina & Mathew Knowles Created The Destiny's Child Gold Mine – Interview". Ebony. FindArticles.com. Retrieved 4 March 2010.
- "Destiny's Child inducted into Billboard All Time Hot 100 Artists". Billboard. 2 August 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Osorio, Kim (19 October 2015). "Exclusive With Mathew Knowles: Does Your Child Have What It Takes To Be Beyonce". Madamenoire.com.
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Mathew Knowles
- Music World Entertainment
- Mathew Knowles Best
- "Mathew Knowles' Reality Show 'Breaking From Above' Premieres In America". Huffington Post. June 26, 2012. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Williams, Brennan (July 6, 2012). "Mathew Knowles Talks New Destiny's Child Album, Blue Ivy, Reality Television". Huffington Post. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Fekadu, Mesfin (November 17, 2011). "Mathew Knowles is back with new girl group". Boston Globe. Boston, MA. Associated Press. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- "Mathew Knowles appointed to gospel board". Houston Business Journal. Houston, TX. February 17, 2011. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Cox, Tony (November 27, 2006). "Mathew Knowles on Fatherhood and Beyonce". National Public Radio. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Infantry, Ashante (March 20, 2005). "A parent who knows his Destiny; Crave stardom? Meet Mathew Knowles and get ready to work". Toronto Star. Toronto, ON. p. C09. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Billboard – Google Books
- Spiritual Journeys: How Faith Has Influenced Twelve Music Icons – Various – Google Books
- Billboard – Google Books