Mathgamain mac Cennétig
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article or section may need to be formatted. (August 2017)
Mathgamain was the son of Cennétig mac Lorcáin of the Dál gCais. His father died in 951 and is called king of Tuadmumu in the report of his death, and was probably succeeded by Mathgamain's brother Lachtna, who died in 953 and is not given any distinguishing title at his death.
In 967, Mathgamain is called "king of Cashel", by the Annals of Ulster. However he is not believed to have become king of Munster until 970 or shortly after, deposing Máel Muad mac Brain. In 967, Mathgamain defeated Ivar of Limerick in the celebrated Battle of Sulcoit, following raids by Mathgamain into Ui Fidgente territory in 964. The most common account of Mathgamain's death was that he was captured in 976 by Donovan (Donnubán mac Cathail), Tiarna (sept chief) of Uí Fidgenti, with whom the Dál gCais were vying for territory, and who were then in alliance with Ivar of Limerick. Donnubán handed him over to his most powerful ally Máel Muad mac Brain (Mulloy, son of Brain) previous king of Munster, who had Mathgamain killed. This is not universally accepted, however; other accounts indicate that he was betrayed by his own subjects.
- Genealogical Memoir of the O'Donovans, formerly Kings of Ui Fidghente, donovanites.org; accessed 11 August 2017.
- "Annals of Ulster AD 431-1201". CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts. Retrieved 24 October 2007.
- Byrne, Francis John, Irish Kings and High-Kings. Batsford, London, 1973; ISBN 0-7134-5882-8
- Máire Ní Mhaonaigh, "Cogad Gáedel Re Gallaib" and the Annals: A Comparison, Ériu Vol. 47 (1996), pp. 101-126.
- Duffy, Seán (2004). "Brian Bóruma [Brian Boru] (c. 941–1014)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Retrieved 22 October 2007.(subscription required)
- Thornton, David E., "The genealogy of Gruffud ap Cynan" in Maund, Kerry L. (ed.), Gruffudd Ap Cynan: A Collaborative Biography. Boydell & Brewer, Woodbridge, 1996; ISBN 0-85115-389-5