February 9, 1997|
Chambly, Quebec, Canada
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||190 lb (86 kg; 13 st 8 lb)|
|NHL team||Tampa Bay Lightning|
120th overall, 2015|
Tampa Bay Lightning
Mathieu Joseph (born February 9, 1997) is a Canadian professional ice hockey winger who is currently playing for the Tampa Bay Lightning of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected by the Lightning in the fourth round, 120th overall, of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.
Joseph was selected by the Saint John Sea Dogs in the 2013 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League entry draft in the third round, 51st overall. He began to play for the Sea Dogs at the midway point of the 2013–14 season. His first goal with the team came in a 2–0 win over the Val-d'Or Foreurs. In his second season with the Sea Dogs, Joseph became the sixth player in team history to score five points in a regular season game. He also finished fourth in team scoring that season with 42 points. On June 27, 2015, the Tampa Bay Lightning selected Joseph in the fourth round, 120th overall, of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.
On December 24, 2016, the Lightning signed Joseph to a three-year, entry-level contract. At the time of his signing, Joseph had played in 176 career games with the Sea Dogs during which he scored 80 goals and 171 points. During the 2016–17 playoffs, Joseph was named Canadian Hockey League Player of the Week after scoring two goals and three assists in two games. Joseph went on to help the Sea Dogs capture the President's Cup as QMJHL champion over the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada in a four-game sweep. The Sea Dogs went on to lose in the semifinals to the Ontario Hockey League's Erie Otters in the 2017 Memorial Cup.
Joseph began his professional career in the 2017–18 season with the Tampa Bay Lightning's American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch. He had a strong rookie season with the Crunch, including being named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month for March 2018, during which he scored 4 goals and 10 assists for 15 points over 12 games; he also had a seven-game scoring streak within that span. Joseph finished the season with 15 goals and 38 assists for 53 points, leading the Crunch in regular season assists and points. Joseph also had three goals and seven points in seven Calder Cup playoff games.
At the conclusion of the Lightning's training camp ahead of the 2018–19 season, Joseph found out he had made the opening night roster from general manager Julien BriseBois—before boarding the team's charter plane after a 3–2 Lightning win against the Florida Panthers, BriseBois informed Joseph he had made the roster. On October 6, 2018, Joseph made his NHL debut in a 2–1 Lightning win against the Florida Panthers at Amalie Arena. On October 16, he scored his first career NHL assist and point in a 4–2 Lightning win over the visiting Carolina Hurricanes. On November 4, Joseph scored his first NHL goal in a 4–3 Lightning overtime win over the Ottawa Senators away at the Canadian Tire Centre.
On April 29, 2019, Joseph was named to make his senior debut for Team Canada at the 2019 IIHF World Championship held in Slovakia. He helped Canada progress through to the playoff rounds before losing the final to Finland to finish with the Silver Medal on May 26, 2019. Joseph finished the tournament posting 1 goal and 2 points in 10 games.
Regular season and playoffs
|2013–14||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||30||1||10||11||10||–||–||–||–||–|
|2014–15||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||59||21||21||42||46||5||1||2||3||4|
|2015–16||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||58||33||40||73||57||5||5||2||7||8|
|2016–17||Saint John Sea Dogs||QMJHL||54||36||44||80||57||18||13||19||32||14|
|2018–19||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||70||13||13||26||26||4||0||0||0||0|
Awards and honours
|Second All-Star Team||2017|
- "2015 NHL Draft Player Spotlight: Mathieu Joseph". Sjseadogs.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Briggs, Scott (February 1, 2017). "Joseph on torrid pace for surging Sea Dogs". Canadian Hockey League. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Alexander, Kyle (June 27, 2015). "2015 NHL Draft: Tampa Bay Lightning draft recap". SB Nation: Raw Charge. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Lightning sign Mathieu Joseph to entry-level contract". NHL.com. Retrieved December 24, 2016.
- Briggs, Scott (May 31, 2017). "Sea Dogs 'accomplished great things' in 2016–17". Canadian Hockey League. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Mathieu Joseph named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month". Syracuse Crunch. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Burns, Bryan (September 7, 2018). "Joseph looking to build off eye-opening rookie pro season". Tampa Bay Lightning. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Kelly, Nick (September 29, 2018). "Lightning tops Panthers for win in preseason finale". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Kelly, Nick (October 1, 2018). "Lightning journal: Mathieu Joseph makes roster out of camp; injury update". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Kelly, Nick (October 6, 2018). "After a week to think about it, Mathieu Joseph finally makes his NHL debut". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved October 7, 2018.
- "Lightning edge Panthers in shootout; Luongo hurt". Reuters. Retrieved October 7, 2018.
- @TBLightning (16 March 2018). "First NHL Point, Mathieu Joseph" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Kelly, Nick (October 16, 2018). "Tyler Johnson hat trick sends Lightning past Hurricanes". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- Nearhos, Diana (November 4, 2018). "Mathieu Joseph scores first NHL goal in Lightning overtime win". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved November 6, 2018.
- "Hockey Canada names 22 players to 2019 IIHF World Championship roster". Hockey Canada. April 29, 2019. Retrieved April 29, 2019.
- "Finland defeats Canada for Gold Medal at World Championship". The Sports Network. May 26, 2019. Retrieved May 26, 2019.