August 10, 1983 |
Saint-Georges, QC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||214 lb (97 kg; 15 st 4 lb)|
Columbus Blue Jackets
Tampa Bay Lightning
|NHL Draft||215th overall, 2003
Roy was drafted in the seventh round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, 215th overall, by the Edmonton Oilers. Most of Roy's professional career has been spent in the American Hockey League, with the Toronto and Edmonton Roadrunners, and the Hamilton Bulldogs, although he has also spent time in the NHL with the Edmonton Oilers.
On July 14, 2009, Roy signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets. In the 2009–10 season, Roy appeared in 31 games with the Blue Jackets, recording a career-high 10 assists before he was traded to the Florida Panthers for Matt Rust on March 3, 2010.
The following season, Roy was signed by the Tampa Bay Lightning and was assigned to AHL affiliate, the Norfolk Admirals to begin the 2010–11 season. Roy registered 22 points in 45 games with the Admirals and was recalled to play in 4 games with the Lighting during the season as a depth defenseman.
A free agent, Roy signed with South East Division rivals the Carolina Hurricanes to a one-year contract on September 14, 2011. Roy failed to make his debut with the Hurricanes, assigned to affiliate the Charlotte Checkers for the duration of the 2011–12 season.
With free agency once again in procession and the impending 2012 NHL lockout, Roy signed his first European contract with the Hamburg Freezers of the German Hockey League on July 12, 2012. During a successful debut season with the Freezers, Roy was signed to a one-year extension on January 3, 2013. He finished the 2012–13 season, with 26 points in 51 games.
Upon elimination from the Playoffs with the Freezers, Roy returned to North America for the off-season. On April 23, 2013, With his previous NHL club, the Tampa Bay Lightning, suffering from a depleted blueline, Roy was signed to a contract for the final game of the Lightning's 2013 season.
|2009–10||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||31||0||10||10||17||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||4||0||0||0||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||1||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Blue Jackets sign D Mathieu Roy". Columbus Blue Jackets. 2009-07-14. Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- "Blue Jackets acquire Matt Rust and Chad Kolarik in a pair of deals". Columbus Blue Jackets. 2010-03-03. Retrieved 2010-03-28.
- "Lightning Assign D Matt Roy to Norfolk of the AHL". Tampa Bay Lightning. 2010-10-06. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "Hurricanes sign defenseman Mathieu Roy". Carolina Hurricanes. 2011-09-14. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- "Hurricane Roy completes Freezers roster" (in German). Hamburg Freezers. 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Lightning sign defenseman Mathieu Roy". Tampa Bay Lightning. 2013-04-23. Retrieved 2013-04-23.