Poster designed by Gayathri Ashokan
|Directed by||Adoor Gopalakrishnan|
|Produced by||Adoor Gopalakrishnan|
|Written by||Adoor Gopalakrishnan|
by Vaikom Muhammad Basheer
|Music by||Vijay Bhaskar|
|Cinematography||Mankada Ravi Varma|
|Edited by||M. Mani|
|Distributed by||Jubilee Productions|
|18 May 1990|
Mathilukal (English: Walls; Malayalam: മതിലുകള്) is a 1990 Indian feature film written, directed and produced by Adoor Gopalakrishnan based on the autobiographical novel of the same name by Vaikom Muhammad Basheer. The film focusses on the prison life of Vaikom Muhammad Basheer and the love between him and Narayani, a female inmate of the prison, who remains unseen throughout the film. Mammootty plays the role of Vaikom Muhammad Basheer while K. P. A. C. Lalitha gives voice to Narayani. The film was well received upon screening at the Venice Film Festival, and won four awards at the National Film Awards in 1990.
On the centenary of Indian cinema in April 2013, Forbes included Mammootty's performance in the film on its list, "25 Greatest Acting Performances of Indian Cinema". About casting Mammootty as Basheer, Adoor says: "To play someone when he is living is no mean challenge, and the Malayalam star rose up to it".
Confined to the narrow space of a prison cell, Bashir falls in love with a woman in the neighbouring prison compound. They are separated by a high wall so that they never see each other and have to devise ingenious ways for communicating. Narayani, Bashir's love is presented as a female voice and never appears in person in the film.
- Mammootty as Vaikom Muhammad Basheer
- Murali as Basheer's friend
- Ravi Vallathol as Razaq
- Sreenath as Aniyan
- Karamana Janardanan Nair as a prisoner
- Thilakan as Warden
- M. R. Gopakumar
- Azeez as Inspector
- Babu Namboothiri
- K. P. A. C. Lalitha as Narayani (She doesn't appear in the film, but she voiced the female lead)
The film has won the following awards since its release:
- FIPRESCI Prize - Adoor Gopalakrishnan
- UNICEF Award - Adoor Gopalakrishna
- Best Director - Adoor Gopalakrishnan
- Best Actor - Mammootty also for Oru Vadakkan Veeragatha
- Best Audiography - N. Harikumar
- Best Regional Film (Malayalam)
- OCIC Award - Adoor Gopalakrishnan
- Best Film
- Grand Prize for Best Director - Adoor Gopalakrishnan
- P.K.Ajith Kumar. "Romantic interlude". The Hindu. 14 May 2010.
- P.M.Girish. "A Brief Examination of Three Widely-Acclaimed Malayalam Novels". Languageinindia.com. 3 March 2008.
- Prasad, Shishir; Ramnath, N. S.; Mitter, Sohini (27 April 2013). "25 Greatest Acting Performances of Indian Cinema". Forbes. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- C.S.Venkiteswaran. "Adoor: the man and the auteur". The Hindu. 5 October 2010.
- "Mathilukal-1989". Cinemaofmalayalam.net Retrieved 2010-12-27.
- "37th National Film Awards". International Film Festival of India. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "37th National Film Awards (PDF)" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Kerala State Film Awards"
- "Adoor Gopalakrishnan wins Best Director Award in France". Rediff.com. 21 November 2002. Retrieved 29 January 2015.