|• Total||15.13 km2 (5.84 sq mi)|
|Elevation||865 m (2,838 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2016)|
|• Density||3.4/km2 (8.7/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Casti-Wergenstein, Donat, Lohn, Safien, Tschappina|
Mathon is first mentioned about 840 as in Mentaune.
Mathon has an area, as of 2006[update], of 15.1 km2 (5.8 sq mi). Of this area, 66.3% is used for agricultural purposes, while 10% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.4% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (22.3%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Before 2017, the municipality was located in the Schams sub-district, of the Hinterrhein district, after 2017 it was part of the Viamala Region. The village is a haufendorf (an irregular, unplanned and quite closely packed village, built around a central square) at an elevation of 1,521 m (4,990 ft) in the center of the upper Schamserberg region.
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 56.4% male and 43.6% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Mathon is; 12 people or 23.1% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old. 6 people or 11.5% are 10 to 14, and 1 person or 1.9% is 15 to 19. Of the adult population, 3 people or 5.8% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 8 people or 15.4% are 30 to 39, 6 people or 11.5% are 40 to 49, and 2 people or 3.8% are 50 to 59. The senior population distribution is 6 people or 11.5% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 6 people or 11.5% are 70 to 79, there is 1 person or 1.9% who is 80 to 89, and 1 person who is 90 to 99.
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Mathon about 78.3% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Mathon has an unemployment rate of 0.83%. As of 2005[update], there were 17 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 8 businesses involved in this sector. people are employed in the secondary sector and there are businesses in this sector. 8 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 3 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks Romansh (53.8%), with the rest speaking German (46.2%). The municipality is about evenly divided between German-speaking and Romansh-speaking population. Although 87% of the population understands Romansch, German is now the sole official language.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 30 August 2017
- Mathon in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2016-01-05 at the Wayback Machine. accessed 7 October 2009
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz - Mutationsmeldungen 2016 accessed 16 February 2017
- Graubunden in Numbers Archived 2009-09-24 at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 21 September 2009
- Graubunden Population Statistics Archived 2009-08-27 at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 21 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mathon.|