Matias Kupiainen at Wacken Open Air 2016
|Birth name||Matias Kupiainen|
|Born||11 May 1983|
|Genres||Power metal, neoclassical metal, progressive metal, jazz fusion, grindcore|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, record producer|
|Years active||2006 – present|
|Labels||Ear Music, Victor|
|Associated acts||Stratovarius, Fist in Fetus|
Kupiainen was chosen as the new guitarist for the Finnish power metal band Stratovarius after Timo Tolkki's departure from the band in 2008. He started playing with the band in 2009, on their album Polaris for which he composed three songs.
In addition to Stratovarius, Kupiainen founded the grindcore band Fist in Fetus, which released a self-produced EP in 2007. He guested on the 2007 album Guitar Heroes, on the song "12 Donkeys", that was also released as a single, and appeared on the record release concert at Tavastia Club. At the 2007 Tuska festival, he appeared as the one-man house band of the TV station YLE Extra.
Kupiainen has also played as a session musician, among others, on albums of Olavi Uusivirta and Milana Misic, and worked as a producer, recording engineer, and mixer, as well. He has studied at Sibelius Academy in Helsinki and the Pop & Jazz Conservatory in Oulunkylä. He played a PRS Artist Series I guitar and now he is an endorser of Ruokangas Guitars. He currently plays his custom Hellcat made of Spanish cedar and arctic birch, and uses mainly ENGL, Hughes & Kettner, Mesa Boogie and TC Electronic gear.
Kupiainen was a part-owner of a recording studio named Minor Music in Helsinki, Finland, until it was merged with 5 By 5 Audio.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2011)
Fist in Fetus
- 2007 Fist in Fetus EP 
- 2009 Polaris
- 2010 Polaris Live
- 2011 Elysium
- 2012 Under Flaming Winter Skies: Live in Tampere
- 2013 Nemesis
- 2014 Nemesis Days
- 2015 Eternal
- 2016 Best Of
- 2018 Enigma: Intermission II
- "Stratovarius returns in 2009". Stratovarius. 23 October 2009. Retrieved 11 December 2008.
- "Polaris writers, and online ordering". Stratovarius. 31 March 2009. Retrieved 1 April 2009.
- "Fist in Fetus" (in Finnish). Imperiumi.net. 20 September 2007. Retrieved 11 December 2008.
- "Guitar Heroes" (in Finnish). Imperiumi.net. Retrieved 11 December 2008.
- "Artisti" (in Finnish). Meteli.net. Retrieved 11 December 2008.
- "Henkilökunta" (in Finnish). Minor Music. Archived from the original on 18 April 2008. Retrieved 11 December 2008.
- "Opettajat" (in Finnish). Rockway. Retrieved 11 December 2008.