Matla River (Canning)
The main stream of the Matla River is divided into two arms near Purandar. One passes through Kultali-Garanbose and then passes through the Sundarbans. The other passes through Basanti, Pathankhali, Surjyaberia, Masjidbati and then meets Bidyadhari River.
Lateral connections of the Matla system on the west are Belladonna River, Kultala River, the Piyali-Nabipukur River, the Bainchapi Khal, the Kaikalmari River, the Suia River, the Dulibhasani Gang, and the Gokhaltali Gang, On the eastern side the main connections with the Gosaba and Raimangal systems are more intricate and many of the channels are yet to be named. The important channels in this belt are Rupkhali Khal, Pathankhali Nadi, Pirkhali Nadi, Gazikhali Khal, Panchmukhani Khal, Mayanadi Khal, Mayadip River, Bhangaduni River, Kalindi River, Kalgachia River, Raimangal River, Jhilla River, Gonna River, and the Harinbhanga River.
During the monsoons the Matla becomes so turbulent that it becomes impossible for boats to ferry people. At the same time, the Matla has become so silted that during the dry season boats cannot come near the jetties and have to be stationed 460 metres (500 yd) from the jetty. Long stretches of the Matla have embankments to protect villages in the surrounding areas from flooding.
- Plant wealth of the lower Ganga Delta: an eco-taxonomical approach\\, Volume 1 By Kumudranjan Naskar. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- The Sundarbans of India: a development analysis By Asim Kumar Mandal. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- Chakrabarti, Bhaskar (2012). "Calcutta Port". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Alternative to Ganga Sagar". The Statesman, 24 January 2004. Retrieved 2009-10-27.[dead link]
- "Bridge on the river Matla". The Statesman, 24 December 2005. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- "Matla waters may sweep villages". The Statesman, 24 August 2004. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- "Didi on Singur mind, not CM". See photo caption. The Telegraph, 9 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "Canning bridge inaugurated, CM rolls sops for locals". The Statesman, 9 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
Media related to Matla River at Wikimedia Commons