|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
Banuaan kan Daraga
Daraga Church with Mayon Volcano at the background
|Nickname(s): Home of the Ruins|
Map of Albay showing the location of Daraga
|Region||Bicol (Region V)|
|Founded||June 12, 1772|
|• Mayor||Gerry R. Jaucian|
|• Vice Mayor||Carlos V. Baylon|
|• Total||118.64 km2 (45.81 sq mi)|
|• Density||980/km2 (2,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||1st class|
The Municipality of Daraga is located in the southwest portion of Albay Province along the Maharlika Highway, making it accessible from Manila and the Visayas, as well as the other municipalities of eastern Bicol Peninsula. It is roughly "boot-shaped", with the "tall" part ranging 13.05–13.25° north latitude and 123.66–123.73° east longitude and the "wide" part ranging 13.02–13.09° north latitude and 123.56–123.71° east longitude. It is bounded on the north and east by Legazpi City, on the south by the Province of Sorsogon (particularly the municipality of Pilar), and on the west by the Municipalities of Camalig and Jovellar.
A land-locked municipality, Daraga has a total land area of 11,860 hectares (29,300 acres). This is about 4.70% of the land area of Albay Province. This municipal land area is distributed among the present 16 urban barangays and 42 rural barangays. The urban barangays total 1,500 hectares (3,700 acres) (12.65%) and the rural barangays make up the remaining 10,360 hectares (25,600 acres) (87.35%) of the total municipal land area.
The Municipality of Daraga has a general wet climate characterized by a lack of a dry season. Maximum rainfall is from November to January, and average monthly rainfall is 223.4 millimetres (8.80 in). Prevailing winds are generally from northeast to southwest. Average temperature is 27.0 °C (80.6 °F). But the climate change phenomenon has changed the past climate pattern. Dry spells are becoming more pronounced, as it is with the wet season. The phenomenon is felt all over the country as well.
67.3% of the total municipal land area has a predominantly low elevation of up to 100 metres (330 ft). The surface terrain is generally characterized by combination of level to nearly level areas, gentle to undulating areas and undulating to rolling areas.
The different soil types to be found within the Municipality of Daraga are the Mayon Gravelly Sandy Loam, Annam Clay Loam, Gravelly Sandy Loam, Legazpi Fine Sandy Loam (Stoney Phase), Sevilla Clay Loam and Sevilla Clay .
The underlying geology are made up of several types, namely Alluvium, Shale and Sandstone Limestone and Basalt and Andesite Series. The prevalent geologic type is the Shale and Sandstone Sequence and other equally significant geologic types such as alluvium. Recent Volcanic, Crystalline Limestone and Psyroclastine Limestone are found near the base of Mayon Volcano mostly in the urban barangays.
Minerals available within the municipality of Daraga are non-metallic consisting of Gravel, and Boulders. These minerals are abundant in Barangays Budiao, Busay, Bañadero and Matnog brought down from the slopes of Mayon Volcano during occurrences of volcanic eruptions and rains.
The surface drainage pattern of the Municipality of Daraga is largely affected by the water run-off coming from Mayon Volcano coupled with those from other directions. Major river systems which convey and act as natural drainage channels as well as water source include:
- Yawa River in Barangay Cullat, Malobago, Kilicao, Tagas, Binitayan & Bañag which connects to the Albay Gulf in Legazpi City
- Colabos Creek in Bañag, San Roque, Market Area, Sagpon, and Bagumbayan
- Quillarena River in Malabog & Budiao
- Gumacon Creek in Barangay Maroroy, Tagas
- Gulang-Gulang Creek in Barangay Pandan
The word daraga historically referred to a maiden, and is the modern term for an unmarried woman in many of the Bikol languages. The original settlement of Daraga dates back to 12th century, but has changed location repeatedly due to the constant threats posed by Mayon Volcano. The town was previously named Budiao, Cagsawa, and Locsin.
|12th c.||Early settlers were mostly traders. The name Daraga came from a type of tree that was abundant on the hill where a baroque Catholic church now stands.|
|1587||Franciscan missionaries arrive, and christen the place Budiao, later renaming it to Cagsawa.|
|1595||Cagsawa becomes a visita (satellite mission station) attached to the town of Camalig.|
|1772||Governor-General Simón de Anda renames Cagsawa to Salcedo, which is later renamed Daraga.|
|1814||Town is destroyed in the deadliest eruption of Mayon Volcano, killing 1,200 people that sought refuge inside the church.|
|1815||Government for Daraga is formally organized, with Venancio Espíritu Salomon as Barangay Captain.|
|1892||Under the Becerra Law, Daraga becomes a constituent of Legazpi City.|
|1922||Daraga regains its autonomy when the Philippine Assembly ordered the partition of Daraga from Albay, composed of Albay and Legazpi City.|
|1948||Under Republic Act 306, Daraga is again incorporated into Legazpi as one of its districts.|
|1954||R.A. 993 officially recreates the Municipality of Daraga.|
|1959||Daraga renamed to Locsin.|
|1967||R.A. 4994 restores the name Daraga.|
|1973||Under Presidential Decree 125, Daraga is again incorporated as part of Legazpi City; implementation of decree was suspended.|
|1993||Daraga adjudged the 'cleanest and greenest' municipality in Bicol.|
|2001||Mayon Volcano erupts in June, blanketing the town with an inch of ash.|
|2002||Municipal government finishes construction of modern supermarket.|
|2006||Mudflows from Mayon Volcano, triggered by heavy rains from Typhoon Reming (international name: Durian) buried at least eight villages. More than 20,000 Individuals were evacuated, and thousands lost their homes.|
|2007||The National Museum declared the town's 400-year-old Our Lady of the Gate Parish Church a national cultural treasure.|
|2008||Daraga experiences economic boom with the opening of several national food chains and the opening of LCC Supermarket.|
|2010||The government of Daraga negotiates for the establishment of the Bicol International Airport in the town, with the proposed construction site in Barangay Alobo.|
|2012||Daraga holds first ever Cagsawa Festival in February.|
|Population census of Daraga|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
The 2010 municipal population of 115,804 is distributed among the urban and rural Barangays. The urban population is 48.54% while rural population completes the remaining 51.45%. The "built-up density" is 5,659 persons/km2. It has a literacy rate of 96.08%. The municipality growth rate is 1.3%.
In terms of employment and livelihood, farming ranks high at 33.53%, crafts and related workers as well as elementary occupations follow second with 17.71% and 21.89% respectively.
The Municipality of Daraga has a total Road Network of about 129.01 kilometers. This is categorized either as National Roads, Provincial Roads, Municipal Roads and Barangay Roads. These barangay Roads comprised the bulk of the municipality road network system. About 24.97% are concrete paved while the remaining 75.03% remains in Asphalt, Gravel of Earth fill pavement conditions. These are about 25 bridges within the municipality and 66.22% of which are within barangay roads while the other bridges are part of national, provincial of barangay roads.
Daraga's economy, originally agriculture-based, has rapidly transformed into an emerging urban system, benefiting from the economic opportunities of being located contiguously with the urban center of Legazpi. It draws trade relations with the island province of Masbate through the nearby Port of Pilar.
Daraga will be the site of the future Bicol International Airport which will further boost tourism in the region and will introduce more opportunities especially in this town. Local officials are now considering cityhood in the near future or upon the completion of the said international airport, if that so, Daraga would be the fourth city in Albay.
Daraga has the highest number of business establishments among towns in Albay. As of 2011 it has over 2,300 business establishments registered with the Permits and Licensing Office. The town is a center of handicraft manufacturing with several handicraft factories choosing their location in the municipality.
Cagsawa Ruins and Resort is located in Barangay Busay. Its prominent attraction is the Belfry of the Cagsawa Church which submerged in mudflow during the February 2, 1814, Mayon Volcano Eruption and killed 1,200 people. The site is presently developed and complete with facilities for rooms, lodging and food, toilets/bathrooms, stalls for native products /ornamentals, restaurant/eateries, telephones and administration office significant number of foreign and local tourist visit the site all year round and realizes a sizeable profit.
The Our Lady of the Gate Parish was constructed in 1773 atop Sta. Maria Hill in Brgy. San Roque and is uniquely known for its rich baroque architecture.
|Barangays||Class||Population||Area (ha)||Barangay head|
|Alcala||Rural||2,755||116.1802||Ester L. Llandeza|
|Alobo||Rural||792||160.6478||Dexter L. Marmol|
|Bagumbayan||Urban||3,254||132.5419||Mark C. Magalona|
|Balinad||Urban||2,230||153.7430||Ester Ll. Londonio|
|Bañag||Urban||2,719||27.3543||Gayzel M. CardiÑO|
|Bascaran||Urban||3,946||423||Julius L. Duran|
|Binitayan||Urban||4,257||24.0552||Celilia A. Arevalo|
|Bongalon||Rural||1,123||73.4752||Ferelyn M. Seva|
|Budiao||Rural||271||290.0678||Jefferson M. Mapula|
|Burgos||Rural||1,122||148.6710||Meriam M. Millena|
|Busay||Rural||1,684||213.7914||Amado B. Lorejo|
|Canarom||Rural||501||247.3559||Efren M. Llasos|
|Cullat||Rural||1460||30.7778||Luis D. Espejo|
|de la Paz||Rural||773||73.1887||Maria L. Marjalino|
|Dinoronan||Rural||608||61.0673||Hirfa M. Espadilla|
|Gabawan||Rural||1,983||93.1821||Roberto C. Obispo|
|Gapo||Rural||1,982||389.2490||Jesus M. Magdaong Jr|
|Ibaugan||Rural||546||179.0034||Raul Ll. Malto|
|Ilawod||Urban||1,987||18.4240||Teddy A. Villanueva|
|Inarado||Rural||1,694||682.2203||Rommel N. Marticio|
|Kilicao||Urban||3,925||379.4295||Eriberto M. Madrona|
|Kimantong||Urban||1,980||20.9764||Joey M. MaÑAgo|
|Kinawitan||Rural||405||78.4592||Eduardo N. Lubiano|
|Kiwalo||Rural||1,160||57.6508||Janet L. Lorilla|
|Lacag||Rural||2,321||383.8633||Arthur L. Llabore Sr.|
|Mabini||Rural||581||124.8330||Ranulfo N. Llorera|
|Malabog||Rural||4,099||287.4584||Alvin L. Montallana|
|Malobago||Rural||492||61.5571||Eduardo Ll. Mazo|
|Market Area||Urban||2,538||20.8215||Wilfredo N. Nayve|
|Maroroy||Urban||5,331||73.5990||Robenson "toto" Lubiano|
|Matnog||Rural||1,680||270.1466||Bonifacio M. Odiver|
|Mi-isi||Rural||1,028||518.1970||Elmer A. Lorica|
|Nabasan||Rural||506||552.1423||Menche A. Llamasares|
|Peñafrancia||Urban||2,986||193.7429||Jose M. Lobas|
|Salvacion||Rural||3,344||551.6138||Nelson N. Mabini|
|San Rafael||Rural||296||32.6412||Alodea M. Lisay|
|San Ramon||Rural||1,441||784.9949||Aidar L. Llaguno|
|San Roque||Urban||4,308||41.9651||Victor U. Perete|
|San Vicente Grande||Rural||961||346.5665||Elena M. Vibar|
|San Vicente Pequeño||Rural||320||63.6688||Gonzalo N. Marfil Sr.|
|Sipi||Urban||3,454||38.9200||Dexter Billy M. Lorica|
|Tabon-Tabon||Rural||2,588||207.9939||Ric M. Rodrigueza|
|Tagas||Urban||6,527||100.4492||Cherry M. Mayor|
|Talahib||Rural||541||341.9260||Nieves M. Jacob|
|Villahermosa||Rural||2,203||414.7122||Eladio L. Rodrigueza|
The present (2014) town mayor is Gerry Jaucian.
Every barangay in town has a certain elementary school. Some elementary schools that are near the center are the large ones that serve the students.
- Anislag National High School Headed by: Ms. Natividad O. Rapesora, Secondary School Principal II
- Daraga NHS
- Malabog NHS
- Lacag NHS
- Bascaran NHS
- Banadero NHS
- San Vicente Grande HS
- Kilicao HS
- Immaculate Concepcion College of Albay (ICCA) High School Department
- United Institute (U.I.) High School Department
- Mary's Child Science Oriented School (MCSOS) High School Department
- Bicol College (BC) High School Department.
- Daraga Community College (DComC)
- Immaculate Concepcion College of Albay (ICCA)
- Bicol College (BC)
- Bicol University (Daraga Campus)
- Belen B. Francisco Foundation Inc.
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Province: Albay". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "General Information". About the LGU. Municipal Government of Daraga. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "Province of Albay". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Daraga Municipal Planning and Development Office
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Daraga, Albay.|
|Donsol, Sorsogon||Pilar, Sorsogon|