Matoma at the UKA festival in 2015
|Birth name||Tom Stræte Lagergren|
|Born||29 May 1991|
|Genres||EDM, Contemporary R&B, Pop, Dancehall, Tropical house|
Lagergren was born in Åsnes, Norway. He started playing the piano as a child. During that period, he won a contest to perform alongside Norwegian pianists Håvard Gimse and Leif Ove Andsnes. As he grew tired of classical piano, Lagergren began mixing on his computer. He holds a bachelor's degree in Music Technology from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
His remix of "Old Thing Back" by The Notorious B.I.G. became popular when it charted in Norway, peaking at number two on VG-lista, the official Norwegian singles chart. It also charted highly in Sweden, Finland, Denmark and New Zealand. It reached number 1 on the music blog aggregator Hype Machine with many record companies including Big Beat Records expressing interest in Matoma's work after hearing the remix. Ja Rule, who is featured on the original track, also tweeted that he loved the track. He also remixed the song "Bailando" at the request of Enrique Iglesias' team.
After musician Hedegaard released his single "Happy Home", he and Matoma had a consultation about a remix of it. This was officially released by Copenhagen Records in September 2014. In October, Matoma's remix of Eminem's "Business" was released. During this month, Warner Music Norway published another remix, the Nelsaan & Matoma Remix of Marit Larsen's "I Don't Want to Talk About It". It is the second remix of Nelsaan and Matoma.
On 15 October 2016, he collaborated with British boy band, The Vamps to release the single "All Night". An official music video was published by The Vamps. As of February 2019 the single had received 375 million Spotify streams. Matoma and The Vamps' second collaborative single "Staying Up" was released on 1 September 2017.
Awards and nominations
|2017||Spellemannprisen '16||Årets Nykommer & Gramostipend
(Newcomer of the Year & Gramo scholarship)
|Årets Låt (Song of the Year)||"False Alarm"|
- "Top 13 Best Tropical House DJs". Archived from the original on 2015-06-13.
- Collar, Matt. "Matoma - Biography | Billboard". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- Lam, Tiffany (5 January 2015). "Exclusive Interview: MATOMA in Canada". In Too The Crowd Magazine. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "INTERVIEW - MATOMA". Fngrs Crssd. 11 February 2015. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- Broch, Helene (28 August 2014). "Matoma – sights set on the US". Music Norway. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- Mettler, Mike (31 July 2015). "How a Norwegian DJ set Spotify on fire with a tropical Notorious B.I.G. remix". Digital Trends. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "Matoma & Nelsaan - Free Fallin Tropical Mojito Remix (John Mayer Tribute)" – via SoundCloud.
- "YAQUI.CO PREMIERE: Matoma x Nelsaan - Free Falling Tropical Mojito Remix". Retrieved 2015-09-06.
- "Marlon Roudette - When The Beat Drops Out (Matoma Tropical Remix)" – via SoundCloud.
- Stina Gregersen Karlsen (20 July 2014). "Norske Tom (23) har laget remix for superstjerna Enrique Iglesias - Er dette den neste Kygo?". Dagbladet (in Norwegian). Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Hedegaard - Happy Home (Matoma Remix)
- Eminem - Business (Matoma Remix)
- I Don't Want to Talk About It (Nelsaan & Matoma Remix)
- Mynga - Back Home (Matoma Remix)
- "All Night – Single by The Vamps & Matoma on iTunes". iTunes. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- All Night by The Vamps on Spotify, retrieved 2018-02-07
- "The Vamps and Matoma to release new collaboration 'Staying Up'". CelebMix. 2017-08-26. Retrieved 2017-10-24.