|Predecessor||Hellman Ferri Investment Associates (1977 to 1982)|
|Headquarters||Palo Alto, California, United States|
|Total assets||$2.4 billion|
Matrix Partners is a US-based private equity investment firm focusing on venture capital investments. The firm invests in seed and early-stage companies in the United States and India, particularly in the software, communications, semiconductors, data storage, Internet or wireless sectors.
Founded in 1977, Matrix was an active player in the development of the venture capital industry in the 1980s. The firm's direct predecessor, Hellman Ferri Investment Associates (1977 to 1982), was founded by Paul J. Ferri and Warren Hellman. In 1982, Ferri and Hellman split ways and Ferri went to focus on early-stage companies, forming Matrix in Boston, Massachusetts while Hellman founded the San Francisco-based private equity firm, Hellman & Friedman which focused on later-stage firm investments.
Among the firm's notable investments, Matrix Partners was an early-stage investor in Apple Inc., Arrowpoint Communications, Digium, JBoss, JustFab, PSINet, SanDisk, Silverstream Software, TheLadders.com, Sonus Networks, Tivoli Software, Tollbridge Technologies, VERITAS Software, Vermeer Technologies Incorporated, and Xilinx.
In 1985, Matrix raised its first institutional private equity fund. In 2001, Matrix Partners completed fundraising for Matrix Partners VII, a $1 billion venture capital fund. In 2006, Matrix raised Matrix Partners VIII fund, with $445 million of investor commitments. In 2006, Matrix also raised a separate $150 million India fund. In July 2009, Matrix raised Matrix IX fund with $600 million. As of 2018, the firm has raised eleven U.S venture capital funds and five China focused funds.
Since 1977, Matrix has invested in Apple Computer, Alteon WebSystems, and Office Club. They have also invested in companies such as Ambarella, Apartment List, Kinnek, JustFab, Gilt Groupe, sqrrl, BillFloat, Inc, Klook, Mitro, Grownout and Canva.
- Capital raised since inception
- "A Casual Approach to Success - Alumni - Harvard Business School". www.alumni.hbs.edu. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- "Exclusive: Matrix Partners raises new VC fund". Fortune. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- $1bn fund for Matrix Partners. AltAssets, 2001
- Matrix makes plans for $445m fund.(Matrix Partners raises funds for its new fund Matrix Partners VIII). Private Equity Week, 2006
- Matrix Partners closes India fund on $150m. AltAssets, 2006.
- Matrix Closes New India Fund. New York Times, 2006
- "Xconomy: Matrix Partners Holds Steady with $450M Fund, as Other VCs Go Big". Xconomy. 2018-06-21. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- "Matrix Partners — About Us".
- "Apartment List snaps up $30 mln Series B - PE Hub". PE Hub. 2016-11-04. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- "South China Morning Post". Wikipedia. 2017-11-07.
- Cutler, Kim-Mai (Sep 5, 2013). "Get Your Friends, Co-Workers Out Of "Password Remembering Hell" With Matrix-Backed Mitro". TechCrunch.
- "Why Matrix?".
- "Canva Investors".