Matron Stakes (Belmont Park)
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: list of winners in reverse chronological order, contrary to WP:DATELIST (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Grade III race|
Elmont, New York, United States
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
The Matron Stakes is an American Thoroughbred horse race held annually during the Fall at Belmont Park in Elmont, Long Island, New York. It is open to two-year-old fillies and is the filly counterpart to the Belmont Futurity Stakes.
Before 1902, it was run in two divisions, one for fillies and one for colts. After 1915, it was restricted to fillies. The inaugural race took place at Morris Park Racecourse in The Bronx, New York where it remained until 1905 when it was moved to the new Belmont Park. Through special arrangements, in 1910 it was hosted by Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland. Aqueduct Racetrack hosted the race in 1960 and again from 1962 to 1968.
The Matron Stakes was run over a straight course before 1959 (except for 1941). Since inception, it has been contested at various distances:
- Six furlongs : 1892-1972, 2011 to present
- Seven furlongs : 1972-1993, 2005-2009
- One mile : 1994-2004
There was no race from 1895 to 1898, from 1911 to 1913 as a result of New York state legislation that banned parimutuel betting, from 1915 to 1922, and in 2001 it was cancelled in observance of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City.
Speed record: (At distance of 7 furlongs)
- 1:22.80 - Meadow Star (1990)
Most wins by a jockey:
- 6 - Angel Cordero, Jr. (1974, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 9 - D. Wayne Lukas (1983, 1984, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2005)
Most wins by an owner:
- 7 - H. P. Whitney (1905 (2), 1907, 1909, 1910, 1926, 1929)
Winners of the Matron Stakes
- Hersh, Marcus (27 June 2018). "Belmont fall stakes schedule has 44 races worth more than $10 million". live.drf.com. Daily Racing Form. Retrieved 2 October 2018.