4 March 1975|
|Instruments||Double bass, bass guitar, drums|
Jazzaway Records |
|Associated acts||Tord Gustavsen Quartet, Food, Dingobats, Rubicon|
Mats Eilertsen (born 4 March 1975 in Trondheim, Norway) is a Norwegian jazz musician and composer. He is known for recording with numerous bands, including the Maria Kannegaard Trio, Ola Kvernberg, Nils Økland, Eldbjørg Raknes, Anders Aarum Trio, Eirik Hegdal, Sverre Gjørvad, Nymark Collective, SKRUK, «Jazzmob», «Dingobats», Håkon Kornstad Trio, Food with Iain Ballamy, Jacob Young Band, Solveig Slettahjell's Slow Motion Orchestra, Håvard Wiik Trio, and «JazzCode».
Eilertsen attended the Trondheim Musikkonservatorium, where he participated in the Jazz program and was part of the Jazz band Dingobats along with fellow students Eirik Hegdal (saxophones), Njål Ølnes (tenor saxophone), Thomas Dahl (guitar) and Sverre Gjørvad (drums), primarily playing Hegdals compositions. He has two band releases as leader of the band Turanga, with band members Fredrik Ljungkvist, Ernst Reijseger, and Thomas Strønen. He also performed with the quartet «Parish», with some of the same members as of «Turanga». In 2006, he released the album Constellations (Jazzaway Records), with the Finnish pianist Alexi Tuomarila's trio, along with Olavi Luohivuori.
- 2005: Turanga (Aim Records), with Turanga (voted this year's release of the Japanese jazz magazine Music Magazine)
- 2006: Flux (Aim Records), with Turanga
- 2009: Radio Yonder (Hubro Music), with Tore Brunborg, Olavi Louhivuori, and Thomas T. Dahl
- 2016: Rubicon (ECM Records), with Eirik Hegdal, Thomas T Dahl, Trygve Seim, Harmen Fraanje, and Olavi Louhivuori (commission for the 2014 Vossajazz)
- SkyDive Trio
- Within Dingobats
- 1998: The New Dingobats Generation
- 2002: Pöck (Bergland Productions), which featured Live Maria Roggen (vocals)
- 2004: Follow (Jazzaway Records)
- 2000: Food (Feral Records)
- 2001: Organic and GM Food (Feral Records)
- 2002: Veggie (Rune Grammofon)
- 2004: Last Supper (Rune Grammofon)
- Within Håvard Wiik Trio
- 2003: Postures (Jazzland Acoustic)
- With Jacob Young
- 2006: Constellation (Jazzaway - JARCD 030)
- 2013: Seven Hills (Edition Records - EDN1041)
- 2017: Kingdom (Edition Records - EDN1090)
- 2009: Restored, Returned (ECM Records)
- 2012: The Well (ECM Records)
- 2014: Extended Circle (ECM Records)
- With Yelena Eckemoff
- Compilation projects
- 2007: Short Stories (Aim Records) with Frode Haltli and Torbjørn Dyrud
- 2010: Elegy (Hubro) with Harmen Fraanje and Thomas Strønen
- "Mats Eilertsen Biografi" (in Norwegian). Store Norske Leksikon. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "Eilertsen, Mats - MIC Norsk musikkinformasjon" (in Norwegian). Mic.no. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Mats Eilertsen Turanga Review". BBC. 2005-03-15. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "14.12.05 Mats Eilertsen/Turanga won Music Magazine's best jazz album of the year 2005!". AIMmusic.no. Retrieved 2014-06-15.
- "Mats Eilertsen Trio: Sails Set". Hubromusic.com. Retrieved 2014-06-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mats Eilertsen.|
- Official website
- Mats Eilertsen SkyDive Quartet - The Void on YouTube
- Mats Eilertsen SkyDive Trio on SoundCloud
| Recipient of the Kongsberg Jazz Award
Live Maria Roggen