Mats Gustafsson in concert, 2010
|Birth name||Mats Olof Gustafsson|
|Born||29 October 1964|
|Genres||Jazz, free jazz|
|Instruments||Saxophone, fluteophone, flute, clarinet|
|Labels||Rune Grammofon, Smalltown Supersound|
|Associated acts||The Thing, Fire! Orchestra, Gunter Christmann, Barry Guy, Paul Lovens, Raymond Strid, Kjell Nordeson, Paal Nilssen-Love, Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, Joe McPhee, Ken Vandermark, Mademoiselle Karen, Sonic Youth, Yoshimi P-We, Zu, Merzbow, Colin Stetson, Derek Bailey, The Ex, Peter Brötzmann, Otomo Yoshihide, Jim O'Rourke, Thomas Lehn, Evan Parker, Per Henrik Wallin, Jaap Blonk, Michael Zerang, Christian Skår Winther, Magnus Skavhaug Nergaard, Balázs Pándi, Four Tet, Steve Reid, David Grubbs, Magnus Broo, Misha Mengelberg|
Mats Olof Gustafsson (born 29 October 1964) is a Swedish free jazz saxophone player. He is known for his tonal belligerence and intensity when improvising.
Gustafsson came to the attention of lovers of improvised music as part of a duo with Christian Munthe (started in 1986), as member of Gunter Christmann's Vario project and the band Gush (started in 1988). He later played widely with Peter Brötzmann, Joe McPhee, Paul Lovens, Barry Guy, Yoshimi P-We, Derek Bailey, Magnus Broo, Otomo Yoshihide, Pat Thomas, Jim O'Rourke, Thomas Lehn, Evan Parker, Misha Mengelberg, Zu, The Ex and Sonic Youth.
Since the early 1990s Gustafsson has been a regular visitor to the United States, forming a particular affinity with Chicago musicians Hamid Drake, Michael Zerang, and Ken Vandermark and recording for Okka Disk. This resulted in a more traditional free jazz style in contrast to his innovative early work with European improvising musicians.
Gustafsson curated the Perspectives festivals in Västerås, Sweden in 2004, 2007 and 2009. This festival of musical improvisation is noted for its cross-genre character and creative atmosphere among musicians. The festival slogan for 2004 was "Fight Global Stupidity", 2007 "Fight Local Stupidity" and for 2009 it became "Fight (y)our stupidity".
Gustafsson was also joint curator of the 2010 Konfrontationen festival in Nickelsdorf, Austria.
- 1991: Nothing to Read (Blue Tower), with Paul Lovens
- 1995: Parrot Fish Eye (Okka Disk)
- 1995: For Don Cherry (Blue Tower), with Hamid Drake
- 1996: Mouth Eating Trees and Related Activities (Okka Disk), with Barry Guy & Paul Lovens
- 1997: Frogging (Maya), with Barry Guy
- 1997: Impropositions (Phono Suecia)
- 1999: The Education of Lars Jerry (Xeric)
- 1999: Hidros One (Caprice), with Nu-Ensemblen
- 2000: Port Huron Picnic (Spool), with Kurt Newman & Mike Gennaro
- 2002: The School Days and Thing (Anagram), the music of Norman Howard presented by Mats Gustafsson
- 2003: Blues (Atavistic), with David Stackenäs
- 2004: Hidros 3 (Smalltown Supersound), Sonic Youth With Friends
- 2005: Slide (Firework Edition)
- 2005: Catapult (Doubtmusic)
- 2007: It Is All About... (Tyfus)
- 2007: Words on the Floor (Smalltown Superjazzz), with Yoshimi P-We
- 2008: Mats G Plays Duke E (Qbico)
- 2008: Cosmic Debris Volume IV (Opax), with My Cat Is An Alien
- 2008: The Vilnius Implosion (NoBusiness)
- 2008: Mats G Plays Duke E (Qbico)
- 2009: Mats G. Plays Albert A. (Qbico)
- 2012: Baro 101 (Terp ), with Paal Nilssen-Love & Mesele Asmamaw
- 2012: Mats G. Plays Gullin (Sagittarius A-Star)
- 2012: Birds (dEN ), with John Russell & Raymond Strid
- 2012: Bengt (Utech)
- 2013: Eissalon (Live) (Rock Is Hell ), with Didi Kern
- 2013: Vi Är Alla Guds Slavar (Otoroku), with Thurston Moore
- 2014: Hidros6 Knockin' (Not Two), with NU Ensemble
- 2015: Hit The Wall! (Smalltown Superjazzz), with Thurston Moore
- 2016: Piano Mating (Blue Tapes and X-Ray)
With AALY Trio + Ken Vandermark
- 1998: Hidden in the Stomach (Silkheart)
- 1998: Stumble (Wobbly Rail)
- 1999: Live at the Glenn Miller Café (Wobbly Rail)
- 2000: I Wonder If I Was Screaming (Crazy Wisdom)
- With Per Henrik Wallin & Kjell Nordeson
- 1995: Dolphins, Dolphins, Dolphins (Dragon)
- 1996: Improvisors (Kontrans)
- With Ken Vandermark
- 1997: FJF: Blow Horn (Okka Disk)
- 2013: Verses (Corbett vs. Dempsey)
- With Jim O'Rourke
- 1999: Xylophonen Virtuosen (Incus)
- With David Grubbs
- 1999: Apertura (Blue Chopsticks)
- 2002: Off-Road (Blue Chopsticks)
- 2000: New York – Ystad (Olof Bright)
- With Greg Goodman & George Cremaschi
- 2002: They Were Gentle and Pretty Pigs (The Beak Doctor)
- With Agustí Fernández
- 2005: Critical Mass (psi)
- With Paal Nilssen-Love
- 2005: Splatter (Smalltown Superjazzz)
- 2008: Andre Sider Af Sonic Youth (Sonic Youth)
- 2008: Goodbye Silence
- With Barry Guy Solo/Duo
- 2009: Sinners, Rather than Saints (NoBusiness)
- With Gord Grdina Trio
- 2010: Barrel Fire (Drip Audio)
- 2011: Live at the South Bank (Smalltown Superjazzz)
- With The Sons of God
- 2011: Reception (Firework Edition)
- With Masami Akita & Jim O'Rourke
- 2011: One Bird Two Bird (Editions Mego)
- With Colin Stetson
- 2012: Stones (Rune Grammofon)
- With Ich Bin N!ntendo including Christian Skår Winther, Joakim Heibø Johansen & Magnus Skavhaug Nergaard
- 2012: Ich Bin N!ntendo & Mats Gustafsson (Va Fongool)
- With The Ex
- 2013 Enormous Door (Ex Records)
- With Agustí Fernández & Ramon Prats
- 2013: Breakin the Lab! (Discordian)
- With Correction
- 2013: Shift (Otoroku)
- With Merzbow & Balázs Pándi
- 2013: Cuts (RareNoise)
- 2015: Live in Tabačka 13/04/12 (Tabačka)
- With Merzbow, Balázs Pándi & Thurston Moore
- 2015: Cuts of Guilt, Cuts Deeper (RareNoise)
- With Craig Taborn
- 2015: Ljubljana (Clean Feed)
- T. Millroth: "Aaly Trio", Orkester journalen, lvi/4 (1988), 11 .
- M. Chaloin: "Mats Gustafsson", Improjazz, no.19 (1995), 6.
- W. Montgomery: "Mats Gustafsson: Flow Motion", Wire, no.164 (1997), 18.
- J. Hale: "Mats Gustafsson", Coda, no.288 (1999), 17.
- "Mats Gustafsson wins the Nordic Council Music Prize 2011". Musikpris.org. 1 June 2011. Archived from the original on 24 March 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "KONFRONTATIONEN NICKELSDORF 2010". Konfrontationen.at. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "Perspectives 2004 - Festival for Creative Music". NyaPerspektiv.se. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Konfrontationen Nickelsdorf 2010". Konfrontationen.at. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "MIch Bin N!ntendo & Mats Gustafsson". Discogs.com. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Mats Gustafsson Discography". Discogs.com. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- Official site
- Swedish Music Information Centre · Jazz Facts: Mats Gustafsson (1999) (unavailable?)
- Mats Gustafsson (1999) [incl. discography].
- J. Guthartz: discography and index of compositions (2000).