|Born||October 26, 1972|
Inage-ku, Chiba, Japan
Matsuko Deluxe (マツコ・デラックス, Matsuko Derakkusu, born October 26, 1972) is a Japanese columnist, essayist, and TV personality. Matsuko is a female persona and stage name assumed by a cross-dressing gay man. She has been described as plus-sized and gravely-voiced with a sharp tongue.
Before Matsuko Deluxe
The person who would later become famous as Matsuko was born in Chiba Prefecture. He graduated from a beauty school and was training to be a beautician when, inspired by LGBT activists, he changed careers and became an editor and writer for the Japanese gay magazine Badi. He quit his job in his late twenties and began to live as a hikikomori.
As Matsuko Deluxe
In 2000, the writer Usagi Nakamura, familiar with Matsuko's work as an editor and writer, selected Matsuko to be one of people to interview for her book about unconventional women. The book, published in 2001, names "Matsuko Deluxe" as an interview subject, introducing her as a "cross-dressing writer".
The television debut of Matsuko Deluxe came in 2000, on Fuji TV's late-night variety show Ebunai. In her 2005 book Shūkan josō ritānzu (週刊女装リターンズ, The Weekly Cross-Dresser Returns), Matsuko writes that in 2000 her bust/waist/hip measurements were 140 centimetres (55 in) each and her weight was 140 kilograms (310 lb). It was with this unique style as a large drag queen that she began rising in popularity as a talento and writer.
In 2013, Matsuko became part of an advertising campaign for Mister Donut's 10th anniversary of introducing the "Pon de Ring" donut, and has continued being the company's spokesperson through its recipe renewal and Calpis collaboration promotions.
As of 2022, Matsuko is a regular panelist and sometimes host on the Japanese talk shows Goji ni Muchū!, Honma Dekka!? TV, Shirushiru Mishiru, Matsuko & Ariyoshi's Karisome Tenkoku, Jinsei ga Kawaru Ippunkan no Fuka Ii Hanashi, Matsuko no Shiranai Sekai (The World Unknown to Matsuko), Arita & Matsuko & Man & Woman, and Monday Late Show, and also an often featured guest on the popular comedy Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahende!!
Controversies and views
In 2010, she became known for her "feud" with many of Japan's female television announcers over their perceived image.
In the same year, Matsuko was critical of then Tokyo Prefectural Governor Shintaro Ishihara's legislation to limit the sales of manga and anime to those under 18 as well as the governor's noted disdain of homosexuality and transvestitism.
In 2012, Matsuko participated in a debate on national pride of Chinese, Korean, and Japanese and when a Korean-Japanese guest claimed "Japanese entertainment is like field baseball, but Korean entertainment is like professional baseball", she replied that K-pop was "nothing but an imitation of American pop music". When a Korean-Japanese participant pointed out that Lady Gaga's popularity in Japan was a sign of the weakness of J-pop, Matsuko responded that Japan had welcomed music of many cultures, including Korean, and said that if K-pop artists did not like Japan the way it is then they did not have to stay. Matsuko's statements caused controversy on the Korean internet.
- "マツコ・デラックス、40代に"悔いなし" 50代は「もう1回全速力でがんばってみたい」". ザテレビジョン. 2022-10-12. Retrieved 2022-11-18.
- "It's fine to be gay on Japanese TV — if you're outlandish and outrageous". Washington Post. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- マツコ・デラックスが職歴を語る 美容師見習いやゲイ雑誌の編集者ライブドアニュース（2015年3月26日）
- "マツコ 引きこもり時代に同級生の「幸せランキング」作る". NEWSポストセブン. 2013-10-07.
- 中村 うさぎ (August 2001). 人生張ってます―無頼な女たちと語る.
- マツコ・デラックス. Shūkan josō ritānzu (週刊女装リターンズ, The Weekly Cross-dresser Returns).
- "マツコ、ユッキーナに戦々恐々「とんでもないママタレ現れた」 (マツコ・デラックス) ニュース-ORICON STYLE". Oricon.co.jp. 2013-01-08. Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "お笑いナタリー - ポン・デ・リングギャグ「もっち！」ダンディ坂野流行語狙う". Natalie.mu. Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "マツコ、早乙女＆西山の"デキ婚"肯定「できちゃった結婚が一番楽」 (マツコ・デラックス) ニュース-ORICON STYLE". Oricon.co.jp. 2013-04-18. Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "ミスド新旧食べ比べに4381人、マツコ・デラックス"ミスド愛"語る。(Narinari.com) - エキサイトニュース". Excite.co.jp. 2013-04-20. Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "ミスドの カルピスコラボドーナツ、CM動画でマツコが一気に飲み干す - 広島ニュース 食べタインジャー". Tabetainjya.com. 2013-06-15. Archived from the original on 2013-06-19. Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "The Hawaii Herald - Hawaii's Japanese American Journal". 23 April 2019.
- "Techinsight » 【エンタがビタミン♪】マツコ・デラックスが沸騰寸前！ "天敵"女子アナとバトル。ミッツ・マングローブも参戦。". Japan.techinsight.jp. 2010-07-22. Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "石原都知事に「あの発言は狂ってる！」 マツコ・デラックス、青少年条例で激怒 (1/2) : J-CASTニュース". J-cast.com. 2010-12-14. Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "日탤런트 "K-POP, 일본 싫으면 나가라"". Nate. Retrieved 11 November 2014.