Matt & Toby
|Matt & Toby|
|Studio album by Matt & Toby|
|Released||October 19, 2012|
|Genre||Acoustic, indie rock, electronic|
|Label||Tooth & Nail|
|Producer||Brandon Ebel, Matt Carter|
|Singles from Matt & Toby|
|Jesus Freak Hideout|||
On January 10, 2011 an official MySpace page for Carter and Morrell's duo-project named The Water and the Well was registered. The page contains three songs: "Do Lord", "Take Me Oh Lord" and "Prodigal Sons & Daughters". The latter two songs later would be re-recorded for Matt & Toby's album. The page was last visited by the founder on January 19, 2011.
On March 5, 2012 an official Facebook page for the same project, but named Matt & Toby, appeared.
Specifically, We (Toby and I) have been wanting to do less aggressive music as well as the heavy stuff we do in Emery. Sometimes we do "acoustic emery" and everyone seems to really like it, so instead of shifting the direction, Emery will continue its sound. We are just ADDING a whole new band to satisfy what we want to do. Matt and Toby will be exploring all the territory of acoustic-electronic-vintage and modern stuff. We are using horns, piano, drums, synthesizers and what ever else we can come up with instead of distorted guitar and screaming. It will be adventurous and dramatic.— Matt Carter, Matt & Toby's Facebook page
Release and promotion
On July 13, 2012 the first song off the album, "Good Boys", was made available as a free download through the official Facebook page of the band.
On October 17, 2012 a lyric video for "What Plays In My Head" was released through the band's official YouTube channel.
On November 8, 2012, Absolutepunk.com premiered the song "Prodigal Sons and Daughters".
In the support of the album the band toured a "Living Room Tour" from October 15 to November 9, 2012 and from January 26 to February 9, 2013. During the shows Matt & Toby played songs from the self-titled album as well as Emery songs and some covers in acoustic.
All songs composed by Matt Carter & Toby Morrell.
|1.||"Life of the Party"||4:17|
|2.||"You Will Sing"||3:57|
|4.||"What Plays in My Head"||4:44|
|5.||"Take Me Oh Lord In Thy Hands"||4:21|
|7.||"Prodigal Sons and Daughters"||4:09|
|8.||"Sunday Morning, February 12th"||4:32|
|10.||"The Last One"||5:09|
Matt & Toby
- Toby Morell – lead vocals
- Matt Carter – bass, drums, engineer, guitar, keyboards, programming, vocals
- Brandon Ebel - executive producer
- Matt Carter - producer
- Brett Baird - editing, engineer
- Ryan Clark - design
- Conor Farley - A&R
- Lindsay Gardner - cello, violin
- Troy Glessner - mastering
- Nadia Ifland - cello, violin
- James Kim - trumpet
- Andy King - drums
- Dan Korneff - mixing
- Aaron Lunsford - drums
- Dave Powell - drums
- Aya Sato - photography
- Julianna Smith - cello, violin
- Aaron Sprinkle - creation, engineer
- Blake Strickland - trombone
- Gardner, Ryan (November 19, 2012). "Review: Matt & Toby". AbsolutePunk. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- Schexnayder, Nathaniel (November 19, 2012). "Review: Matt & Toby". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- Jacob Royal (November 19, 2012). "Review: Matt & Toby". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- "The Water and the Well MySpace-page". January 10, 2011. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- Free Matt & Toby song "Good Boys" available for download http://mattandtoby.bandsonabudget.com/freesong
- "What Plays In My Head" lyric video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h8dv4uMOgA
- "Life of the Party" Altpress.com premiere http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/song_premiere_matt_and_toby_life_of_the_party
- "Life of the Party" music video premiere http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/matt_toby_debut_life_of_the_party_video
- "Prodigal Sons and Daughters" Absolutepunk.com premiere http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?p=115190232#post115190232
- Gregory Heaney (November 19, 2012). "Credits: Matt & Toby". Allmusic. Retrieved November 19, 2012.