26 March 1983
Hammersmith, London, England
|Education|| • Bristol Old Vic Theatre School
• Durham University
Matt Barber (born 26 March 1983) is an English film, television and theatre actor.
Early life and education
Born in Hammersmith, London, he grew up in Hampshire, training classically as a chorister at Winchester Cathedral before receiving academic and music scholarships to Bradfield College, where he was head boy.
He is best known for his role as Atticus Aldridge in Downton Abbey. Previous roles include Freddie Eynsford-Hill in Peter Hall's Pygmalion opposite Michelle Dockery at the Old Vic and internationally and Lysander in Jonathan Kent's The Fairy-Queen at Glyndebourne.
Film and TV
|2014||Downton Abbey||Atticus Aldridge||ITV / PBS||A Moorland Holiday, Carnival Film and Television|
|2014||Downton Abbey||Atticus Aldridge||ITV / PBS||Season 5, Carnival Film and Television|
|2014||Deadly Virtues: Love. Honour. Obey||Tom||Feature Film||Raindance/ Mullholland films|
|2013||Dracula (TV series)||Campbell||NBC / Sky Living||Season 1, Eps. 1 & 2 - Carnival Film and Television|
|2013||Plastic (film)||Dave||Feature Film||Gateway Films|
|2012||The Other Wife||Ben||ZDF||Gate Television|
|2011||Bert and Dickie||Merv Wood||Feature Film||BBC One|
|2009||Being Human||Young Kemp||BBC Three||Season 2, Ep. 6|
|The Alchemistic Suitcase||Youth||Short Film|
|2008||Vivaldi, The Red Priest||Francois||Feature Film||Condor Pictures|
|2007||The Heart of Thomas Hardy||Alec D'Urberville||BBC One|
- Savage Beauty, directed by James Albrecht (St James's Theatre, 2013) as "Paris (mythology)/Orestes/Jason/Oedipus"
- The Fairy-Queen, directed by Jonathan Kent (director) (Glyndebourne, 2012) as "Lysander"
- Portraits, directed by Alex Marker (Finborough Theatre, 2011) as "Joe"
- Edward II, directed by Peter Darney (The Rose (theatre), Bankside, 2011), as "Edward II"
"Barber is an excellent Edward – naive, excitable, and ultimately pitiable... mesmerising"
- The Misanthrope, directed by Andrew Hilton (Bristol Old Vic, 2011), as "Acaste"
- Twelfth Night, directed by Andrew Normington (Birmingham Old Rep Theatre and International Tour, 2009), as Orsino (Twelfth Night)
- Human By Default, directed by Louisa Fitzgerald (Old Red Lion, 2009), as "Simon"
- Pygmalion, directed by Peter Hall (director) (Old Vic, Bath Theatre Royal, 2008, and International Tour, 2009 2008), as "Freddie Eynsford-Hill"
- You Can't Take It with You, directed by Gavin McAlinden (Southwark Playhouse, 2007), as "Tony"
- Much Ado About Nothing, directed by John Hartoch (RSC and Bristol Old Vic Theatre School) as "Claudio" and "Verges"
- "St Cuthbert's Association". cuths.org. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Bristol Old Vic Theatre School. "Home - Bristol Old Vic Theatre School". oldvic.ac.uk. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "BBC One - The Heart of Thomas Hardy". BBC. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Portraits - 2011 Productions - Finborough Theatre". finboroughtheatre.co.uk. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "London UK - more on OffWestEnd.com - Listings and showtimes for over 80 Off West End theatres in London UK". offwestend.com. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Edward II at the Rose Theatre, Bankside". stetjournal.org. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Bristol Old Vic". bristololdvic.org.uk. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Barber.|