Barbet at the 2016 Tour of Britain.
8 June 1976
Chester, Cheshire, England
|Occupation||Journalist, presenter, newsreader|
ITN (for 5 News)
|Notable credit(s)||BBC News(2003–07)
5 News (2007–12, 2014–)
The Cycle Show (2014—)
The Wright Stuff (2014-)
The Saturday Show (2015–16)
In 2003, Barbet joined BBC News, where he worked on various news programmes. In September 2007, he left BBC News so he could join 5 News. He covered some of the broadcaster's main news events. In September 2012 until April 2014, Barbet co-presented Daybreak alongside Ranvir Singh, before returning to 5 News for 5 News Tonight.
Before joining BBC London in 2003, Barbet worked at BBC Radio 1 as a newsreader on the Sara Cox Breakfast Show. In 2006 he presented BBC London's Children in Need coverage. He also presented the BBC's STORYFix programme – a light, upbeat look at the news shown on BBC News 24 and the BBC website. In 2007 he was an occasional relief presenter for BBC Breakfast.
In September 2007, Matt Barbet was named as a presenter and correspondent for 5 News on Channel 5. His position came after Kirsty Young, the principal anchor, announced her departure from the programme. He took up his new role in November 2007. In June 2008, Matt Barbet and Isla Traquair, were announced as stand-in presenters on 5 News while Natasha Kaplinsky was on maternity leave. Matt visited Haiti in January 2010 after the earthquake and has also been embedded with the British Army in Afghanistan. In February 2011, he was announced as the new presenter of the flagship 17:00 programme, after Kaplinsky left the station. He left on 26 July 2012.
On 11 June 2012 it was announced Barbet would leave 5 News to join ITV Breakfast's Daybreak. He made his debut on 3 September 2012 and presented the show from 6:00 am to 7:00 am with Ranvir Singh. Throughout 2012, Matt occasionally reviewed the news on This Morning with Singh.
On 17 August 2013 he made his debut presenting the ITV News weekend bulletins on ITV and ITV News London on ITV London. In December 2013, Matt appeared as a contestant in a Text Santa special of the ITV game show The Chase, and won £55,000 for ITV's Text Santa appeal.
On 3 March 2014, it was announced that Daybreak had been axed and would be replaced by Good Morning Britain later in the year. Matt presented his final episode of Daybreak on 4 April 2014, and it was confirmed by the Daily Mirror on the same day that he would not be part of the presenting team at Good Morning Britain. During his time at Daybreak, Matt co-presented 330 editions of the show.
On 16 April 2014, it was confirmed that Matt would rejoin 5 News to present their 5 News Tonight programme, weekdays at 6:30 pm. He returned as host of 5 News on 28 April 2014. Commenting on his return to Channel 5, Matt said "I'm really happy to be returning to Channel 5 at what is a very exciting time for the network".
Barbet lives in London with his wife Katie and their two daughters. Matt is an accomplished runner and road cyclist. He is a patron of the Educate for Life charity and ran the London Marathon in 2010 and 2016. He rode the first three Ride London events, and in 2015 was the fastest celebrity to cross the line, completing the 100-mile course in 4 hours 24 minutes.
- The Weakest Link — Contestant
- BBC News (2003–2007) – Presenter
- BBC Breakfast (2007) – Stand-in presenter
- 5 News (2007–2012, 2014–present) – Anchor
- Daybreak (2012–2014) – Co-presenter, alongside Ranvir Singh
- This Morning (2012) – Occasional newspaper reviewer
- The Chase: Text Santa Special (2013) – Contestant
- ITV News (2013–2014) – Stand-in anchor
- The Cycle Show (2014–2015) – Presenter
- The Saturday Show (2015–2016) – Co-presenter, with Gaby Roslin
- Joanne Oatts (20 August 2007). "Five News hires BBC London's Barbet". Digital Spy. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- Holmwood, Leigh (20 June 2008). "Five announces Isla Traquair and TV's Matt Barbet as Kaplinsky stand-ins". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Matt Barbet". Knight Ayton Management.
- "Matt Barbet" (PDF). Five News Presenters. Sky Press Office.[permanent dead link]
- "Emma Crosby to front Five news". BBC News. 1 February 2011. Retrieved 1 February 2011.
- Matt Barbet Signs Off 5 News, Heads to Daybreak TV Newsroom, 26 July 2012
- 5 News – Matt Barbet's Final Sign Off TheSbm2010, YouTube, 26 July 2012
- "Ranvir Singh and Matt Barbet will be the new presenters of the first hour of ITV1's Daybreak, ITV announced today.". ITV Press Center. 11 June 2012. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- Daybreak relaunch: Lorraine Kelly, Aled Jones start on September 3 Kate Goodacre, Digital Spy, 23 August 2012
- Sam Rigby (16 April 2014). "Matt Barbet returning to Channel 5 News". Digital Spy. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Matt Barbet unveiled as new host of ITV4 cycling show". "ITV Press Centre". Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- Harry Fletcher (14 October 2015). "Gaby Roslin and Matt Barbet will host Channel 5's The Saturday Show". Digital Spy. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Just keeping the sofa warm for Natasha...". The Independent. 8 December 2008. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- Matt Barbet. "Virgin Money Giving - Fundraising - Matt Barbet is Marathon Man - Is it safe?". Virgin Money Giving. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/news-media/latest-news/cipolletta-completes-an-emotional-ride-as-thousands-finish-sportive-1/. Missing or empty
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|