Matt Barnes (baseball)
Barnes with the Boston Red Sox
|Boston Red Sox – No. 32|
June 17, 1990 |
|September 9, 2014, for the Boston Red Sox|
(through 2017 season)
|Earned run average||4.30|
Barnes throws a high-90s four-seam fastball, a curveball, and a changeup. Prior to being drafted by the Red Sox in the first round of the 2011 MLB Draft, he played college baseball at University of Connecticut, where he was named a First Team All-American.
|Representing United States|
|World University Baseball Championship|
|2010 Tokyo||National team|
Barnes went to Bethel High School in Bethel, Connecticut. In high school, he was named to the All-State team. Following his high school career, he was not chosen in the Major League Baseball (MLB) Draft. He then enrolled at the University of Connecticut, where he played college baseball for the Connecticut Huskies baseball team in the Big East Conference of the National Collegiate Athletic Association's (NCAA) Division I. As a freshman, he had a 5–3 win–loss record with a 5.43 earned run average (ERA) and 55 strikeouts in 53 innings pitched. As a sophomore, Barnes had an 8–3 record with a 3.92 ERA and 75 strikeouts. In his junior season, Barnes had an 11–3 win-loss record and 1.11 ERA with 97 strikeouts in fourteen games started during the regular season, as the Huskies won their first conference regular season title.
Barnes was twice named to the All-Big East team. Barnes was named Big East Pitcher of the Year in 2011. He was also named to the 2011 College Baseball All-America Teams of the American Baseball Coaches Association and Collegiate Baseball. He was added to the Golden Spikes Award preseason watch list in 2011.
While in college, Barnes played collegiate summer baseball for the Wareham Gatemen of the Cape Cod Baseball League. He also pitched for the United States national baseball team in the 2010 World University Baseball Championship, not allowing an earned run, as the United States won the silver medal.
The Boston Red Sox selected Barnes with the 19th overall selection in the 2011 MLB Draft. He was selected to appear in the 2012 All-Star Futures Game. Entering 2013, Barnes was ranked 38th in the MLB.com Top 100 Prospects list.
The Red Sox promoted Barnes to the major leagues for the first time on September 8, 2014. He finished the rest of the season with the Red Sox, making five appearances with a 4.00 ERA.
On April 23, 2017, Barnes was ejected for the first time in his Major League career for attempting to hit Manny Machado with a pitch in response to a hard slide by Machado on Dustin Pedroia from 2 nights ago. Although the pitch seemed that it struck Machado's helmet, it instead went behind his helmet and hit his bat, triggering a foul ball. The next day, on April 24, Barnes received a 4-game suspension for "intentionally throwing a pitch in the area of the head of Manny Machado."
- Anderson, Mark (May 14, 2012). "Scouting Report: Matt Barnes (RHP)". Baseball Prospect Nation. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- "Bethel's Barnes leads UConn baseball team into Big East tournament". NewsTimes. May 21, 2011. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- "Red Sox select Barnes". Boston.com. June 7, 2011. Archived from the original on November 3, 2011. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- "Barnes has MLB potential but one goal — UConn championships". GreenwichTime. May 25, 2011. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- "Red Sox tab UConn's Barnes; Springer to Astros". NewsTimes. June 6, 2011. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- Associated Press. "Boston Red Sox draft UConn pitcher Matt Barnes in 1st round". masslive.com. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- "2011 ABCA/Rawlings NCAA Division I All-American Teams | ABCA.org" (PDF). Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- "2011 Collegiate Baseball/Louisville Slugger All-Americans". College Baseball 360. June 2, 2011. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- "Bethel's Barnes on Golden Spikes watch list". GreenwichTime. February 17, 2011. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- "2012 All-Star Futures Game". Major League Baseball. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "MLB.com Top 100 Prospects list". Major League Baseball. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Red Sox promote pitcher Matt Barnes to big-league bullpen". Providence Journal. September 8, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Browne, Ian. "Matt Barnes suspended 4 games". MLB. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- Smith, Christopher. "Matt Barnes, Boston Red Sox RHP, suspended four games for throwing in area of Manny Machado's head". MassLive. Retrieved June 14, 2017.
- Healey, Tim (December 1, 2014). "Barnes' baseball clinic benefits Newtown youth: Red Sox prospect started the event following Sandy Hook tragedy". MLB.com. Retrieved December 1, 2014.