California, United States
|Alma mater||University of California, Santa Cruz|
|Occupation||Film Director, Writer, Actor, Musician|
|Home town||Oakland, California|
Matt Bettinelli-Olpin is an American director, writer, actor and musician. He is a founding member of the punk band Link 80 and co-creator of the filmmaking collectives Chad, Matt & Rob and Radio Silence. His films include V/H/S, Devil's Due and Southbound.
Bettinelli-Olpin formed the Bay Area punk band Link 80 in 1993. On the band's first two albums, 17 Reasons and Killing Katie, Bettinelli-Olpin played guitar, sang backing vocals and co-wrote the lyrics with singer Nick Traina. After leaving Link 80, Bettinelli-Olpin worked as a music journalist and interviewed bands including Alkaline Trio, Dropkick Murphy's, Lawrence Arms, Avail, Blur, Violent Femmes, the Breeders, the Mars Volta and the Psychedelic Furs.
In 2016, Bettinelli-Olpin participated in a Link 80 reunion for the Asian Man Records 20th Anniversary. On June 17th and 18th, the band played two sold out shows at the San Francisco's Bottom of the Hill. The lineup also included singer Ryan Noble, guitarist Adam Davis, drummer Joey Bustos, bassists Adam Pereria and Barry Krippene, and horn players Aaron Nagel, Steve Borth and Jason Lechner. Prior to the shows, a video tribute to Nick Traina was shown that the band released the video online on June 20, 2016.
In 1999, Bettinelli-Olpin directed Alkaline Trio's first music video (Goodbye Forever) and, in the early 2000s, he appeared in many of The Lonely Island's early shorts (The Hot Seat, Vanilla Sky, White Power and The 'Bu). He formed the filmmaking collectives Chad, Matt & Rob and Radio Silence in 2007 and 2011, respectively.
Chad, Matt & Rob
Bettinelli-Olpin co-founded Chad, Matt & Rob with Chad Villella and Rob Polonsky in 2007. The group is known for their unique blend of comedy, adventure, sci-fi and horror. Among their numerous short films is the viral found footage style video Roommate Alien Prank Gone Bad and five installments of their first-of-its-kind series of Interactive Adventures. Their work online has over 100,000,000 views.
After the dissolution of Chad, Matt & Rob, Bettinelli-Olpin formed Radio Silence with Tyler Gillett, Justin Martinez and Chad Villella. The group co-directed the 10/31/98 segment of the feature film V/H/S. The film premiered at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival and was released theatrically by Magnolia Pictures in October 2012. The following year, they made Devil's Due for 20th Century Fox and in 2015, their film Southbound premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival. It was released theatrically by the Orchard on February 5, 2016.
- G4 Attack of the Show ("Around the Net") http://revver.com/video/919676/cmr-on-g4-tvs-attack-of-the-show/
- Punknews.org Review
- Punk News Link 80 http://www.punknews.org/bands/link80
- Campus Circle Alkaline Trio http://www.campuscircle.com/review.cfm?r=1406
- Campus Circle Richard Butler http://www.campuscircle.com/review.cfm?r=2099
- YouTube, "Alkaline Trio Official Channel" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3IBZAheRaM
- The Lonely Island Vintage Videos http://www.thelonelyisland.com/videos?tags=vintage&sort=date&page=2
- Complex Magazine The Stories Behind "V/H/S," The Best, Most Unique Horror Anthology Movie In Years http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/10/vhs-horror-movie-anthology-interviews-backstory/10-31-98-radio-silence
- "V/H/S" directors, Radio Silence, take on Found Footage Frankenstein Story Archived 2013-06-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- Radio Silence Eyes Frankenstein Found-Footage Film
- Vespe, Eric (2012-1-23), "Quint thinks V/H/S, a found footage horror anthology, is the first great horror flick to screen at Sundance 2012!" http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52888
- Lawton, Christopher (2009-02-04), "Video Sites Entice Users To Stay and Play." Wall Street Journal
- Miska, Brad (2011-12-1), "'V/H/S' Will Premiere at Sundance 2012" Bloody-Disgusting http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/27429
- Zeitchik, Steven (2011-10-13), "Wingard, West headline new Bloody Disgusting film." Los Angeles Times http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/10/ti-west-inkeepers-bloody-disgusting-adam-wingard-youre-next.html
- Barnes, Brooks (2011-12-1), "Delusional Teenagers and Other Sundance Offerings." New York Times http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/delusional-teenagers-and-other-sundance-offerings/
- Lowe, Justin (2012-1-27), "V/H/S: Sundance Film Review." The Hollywood Reporter http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/vhs-sundance-2012-film-review-285296
- Miller, Daniel (2012-1-26), "Sundance 2012: Magnolia Pictures Acquiring Horror Flick 'V/H/S' for North of $1 Million." The Hollywood Reporter http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/risky-business/sundance-2012-magnolia-pictures-vhs-284886
- Sneider, Jeff (2015-10-8) The Wrap http://www.thewrap.com/the-orchard-buys-anthology-horror-movie-southbound-after-toronto-debut/
- "New film from "V/H/S" standouts Radio Silence gets date". Fangoria. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "First Generation "V/H/S": Radio Silence". Diabolique. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- Erbland, Kate. "Toronto International Film Festival Reveals Midnight Madness and Vanguard Slate".