Busch with a Chewbacca impersonator in Star Wars Celebration Europe on July 14, 2007
|Born||Matthew Stuart Busch
September 22, 1972
Lebanon, Pennsylvania, United States
|Residence||Macomb Township, Michigan|
|Education||Art Center College of Design|
|Occupation||Illustrator, professor, author, writer, director, filmmaker|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Spouse(s)||Lin Zy Busch (m. 2011)|
|Parent(s)||Frederick Busch (father)
Peggy Busch (mother)
Matthew Stuart "Matt" Busch (born September 22, 1972) is an American artist and entertainment illustrator.
Busch was born in Lebanon, Pennsylvania on September 22, 1972 to Frederick and Peggy Busch. He grew up in the northern suburbs of Detroit, Michigan. After getting an associate degree from Macomb Community College, he moved to Pasadena, California, where he attended the Los Angeles Art Academy, and received a bachelor's degree from the Art Center College of Design. After living in Los Angeles for nearly a decade during the 1990s, Busch eventually returned to the Northern Detroit area where he set up his company, Planetmatt Entertainment, and continues to work on Hollywood projects, via new technology.
He is well known in many different circles of pop culture and fandom as an entertainment illustrator. Mostly known for his work with the Star Wars universe, Busch has provided numerous covers, posters, and other material for the franchise.
Star Wars illustrator
Since 1994, Matt Busch has provided art for official Star Wars books, posters, magazines, and other products. Early in his career, Busch started illustrating products for the Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game and the cover for Star Wars: Tales from the Empire, which became a New York Times Best Seller. One of his more recent projects was illustrating the Style D One Sheet movie poster for Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith.
Busch is perhaps best known for his outspoken antics in the You Can Draw Star Wars video series, which is based on the book of the same name, which he also illustrated. The video series was first released online and later released on DVD. Following that, the videos found even more success when they were released on MySpace.com, and shot straight to number one on their charts. Volume Two of the same tutorial series was also released on DVD.
In 2008, Hasbro released a droid action figure named MB-RA-7, which was named after Matt Busch. Also that year, Busch became the first Honorary Member of the 501st Legion of Stormtroopers to become an official member with his own TK Stormtrooper armor.
In October 2009, he created and released Zombie Wars Episode I: The Zombie Menace, Zombie Wars Episode II: Attack of the Undead, Zombie Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Zombies, Zombie Wars Episode IV: A New Epidemic, Zombie Wars Episode V: The Living Dead Strike Back, and Zombie Wars Episode VI: Return from the Grave. A couple of months later, Kohl's department stores re-released an exclusive Boba Fett T-shirt featuring Busch's art.
Having worked behind the scenes for years in many aspects of movie making, Busch eventually moved into the world of independent filmmaking. In 2006, his first feature-length movie, Conjure was released straight-to-DVD; a project that he wrote, directed, starred in, and even composed the music for. The movie gained critical acclaim and even shattered records in the Horror Genre.
In 2009, Busch released a DVD titled Illustration Nation, a documentary of travel adventures ranging from Hollywood to London to Tokyo.
Busch is currently filming and directing Aladdin 3477 based on the classic Arabian Nights tale Aladdin and his Wonderful Lamp. The movie is set in Asia 1,500 years in the future. It is expected to be released at some point in 2016.
Busch married his wife Lin Zy (née Selestow), a puppet designer, on September 18, 2011 in Royal Palm Beach, Florida. They reside in a multiple-studio house in Macomb Township, Michigan with their dog Roxie.
|2015||Local 4 News||Himself||Interview|
|2007–2012||How to Draw Star Wars||Himself||22-part tutorial videos|
- Hollywood is Dead, published by Planetmatt Entertainment (2014)
- Matt Busch's Sketchbook (Now With 90% More Bad-Ass!), published by Planetmatt Entertainment (December 2010) (ISBN 9780971789036)
- The Worlds of Matt Busch, published by Hermes Press (April 2008) (ISBN 9781932563009)
- You Can Draw Star Wars, published by DK Publishing (January 2007) (ISBN 9780756623432)
- Pucker: The Seductive Art of Matt Busch, published by SQP Publishing (September 2006) (ISBN 9780865621442)
- Fantastic Visions: The Art of Matt Busch, published by Avatar Press (September 2001) (ISBN 9780970678416)
- Matt Busch's biography – Matt Busch
- Matt Busch's online client list, résumé, and curriculum vita – Matt Busch
- Matt Busch's biography – Matt Busch
- Star Wars Artist Series: Matt Busch (July 28, 2005) – Star Wars
- 'Matt Busch: Dreams Really Do Come True' by Loren Phillips (July 16, 1999) – Echo Station
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith Style D One Sheet movie poster – Hollywood is Dead
- 'Local Illustrator Brings Star Wars Characters to Life' by Sarah Cormier (January 24, 2007) – C&G Newspapers
- 'C4: Matt Busch Drawing DVD Available' by Jay (May 16, 2007) – TheForce.net
- 'Number One. THANK YOU!' by Planetmatt (October 7, 2007) – LiveJournal
- 'You Can Draw Star Wars, Vol. 2' by Dustin (July 7, 2008) – TheForce.net
- 'Hasbro releases new Star Wars action figure named after Matt Busch!' (December 16, 2008) – Matt Busch
- MB-RA-7 – Jedi Temple Archives
- Card 165 – Matt Busch – 501st Legion
- Matt Busch's 501st Legion Stormtrooper trading card – Matt Busch Store
- Matt Busch's Zombie Wars posters (October 13–17, 2009) – Matt Busch
- Matt Busch's Zombie Wars posters (December 7, 2009) – Geekologie
- 'Kohl's exclusive Boba Fett T-shirt back by demand!' (February 10, 2010) – Matt Busch
- 'Post-Apocalyptic Treasure Hunting in Afterburn' by SuperHeroHype (November 2, 2007) – Superhero Hype!
- 'Illustrating Obama with Artist Matt Busch' by Matt Busch (August 4, 2009) – Facebook
- 'Conjure' – Matt Busch
- 'Matt Busch's First Independent Thriller Sets A New Record!' by Dustin (March 29, 2006) – TheForce.net
- 'Illustration Nation' Now Available on DVD' by Dustin (May 24, 2009) – TheForce.net
- Aladdin 3477's frequently asked questions – Aladdin 3477
- 'Matt Busch Gets Married!' (October 19, 2011) – Matt Busch
- 'Yes, we're crazy and we brought out dog here. Roxie doesn't appear to be much of a Star Wars fan... YET.' (April 16, 2015) – Instagram
- 'Michigan Man Creates 'Aladdin 3477' Movie Out of Love for 'Star Wars' by Lauren Podell (March 3, 2015) – Local 4 News
- 'Lin Zy Directs the Series Finale of 'You Can Draw Star Wars' by Lin Zy (April 14, 2012) – Lin Zy
- Matt Busch's 'How to Draw Star Wars' tutorial videos – YouTube