December 24, 1989 |
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||174 lb (79 kg; 12 st 6 lb)|
Columbus Blue Jackets
|NHL Draft||127th overall, 2008
Columbus Blue Jackets
Matthew Dean Calvert (born December 24, 1989) is a Canadian professional ice hockey left winger for the Colorado Avalanche of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was drafted by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the fifth round, 127th overall, of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Calvert began his junior career with a brief stint for the Winkler Flyers of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League, during which he accumulated 15 penalty minutes in his only game with the club. The following year was his first of three seasons with the Brandon Wheat Kings of the Western Hockey League (WHL). He was named alternate captain for the Wheat Kings in his second season with the team.
After being drafted by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Calvert opted to return to the Wheat Kings for a third season and a chance to win the 2010 Memorial Cup, which was being hosted by Brandon. He was named captain of the Wheat Kings for the 2009–10 season, during which he earned Second-Team Eastern Conference All-Star and Memorial Cup All-Star honours.
Calvert is also noted for scoring a natural short-handed hat-trick against the Calgary Hitmen in the 2010 WHL Eastern Conference Finals. With this feat, Calvert tied the WHL record for most short-handed goals in one game and became the only player in WHL history to score three short-handed goals in one period in the playoffs.
Columbus Blue Jackets
Calvert began the 2010–11 season with the Blue Jackets' American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Springfield Falcons. Calvert was later called up to Columbus on January 6, 2011, and made his NHL debut two days later in a 6–0 loss to the Anaheim Ducks. He would score his first career NHL goal one game later against goaltender Jonathan Quick of the Los Angeles Kings. The Blue Jackets would assign Calvert to Springfield for the duration of the 2011 NHL All-Star Break before bringing him back up when they resumed regular season play.
On February 25, 2011, Calvert scored a natural hat-trick for the Blue Jackets in a 5–3 win over the Phoenix Coyotes. It was the first hat-trick of Calvert's NHL career and the 19th hat-trick in Blue Jackets franchise history.
On April 19, 2014, Matt Calvert helped the Blue Jackets earn their first Stanley Cup playoff win by scoring a short-handed goal in the second period and the eventual game-winning goal in their 4–3 double overtime victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins.
In the 2017–18 season, Calvert proved his versatility throughout the lineup, registering 9 goals and 15 assists for 24 points in 69 games, matching career highs in assists and points while leading the team with two short-handed tallies. He produced 4 points in 6 postseason contests.
Having left the Blue Jackets as a free agent after 8 seasons, Calvert was signed to a three-year, $8.4 million contract with the Colorado Avalanche on July 1, 2018.
|2007–08||Brandon Wheat Kings||WHL||72||24||40||64||53||6||1||2||3||2|
|2008–09||Brandon Wheat Kings||WHL||58||28||39||67||58||12||9||8||17||22|
|2009–10||Brandon Wheat Kings||WHL||68||47||52||99||70||15||9||7||16||15|
|2010–11||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||42||11||9||20||12||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||13||0||3||3||16||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||42||9||7||16||32||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||56||9||15||24||53||6||2||2||4||4|
|2014–15||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||56||13||10||23||28||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||73||11||13||24||51||—||—||—||—||—|
|2016–17||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||65||10||5||15||48||4||1||1||2||4|
|2017–18||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||69||9||15||24||33||6||3||1||4||4|
Awards and honours
|East Second All-Star Team||2010|||
|CHL Memorial Cup All-Star Team||2010|||
- "Eliteprospects.com - Matt Calvert". Elite Hockey Prospects. 2011-02-26. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Calvert is Brandon Bound". Our Sports Central. 2009-09-28. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- Best of the East Saluted by WHL, Saskatoon Homepage, 2010-03-18, retrieved 2011-02-25
- Martin Jones And Jimmy Bubnick Honored At 2010 Mastercard Memorial Cup, Our Sports Central, 2010-05-24, retrieved 2011-02-25
- The WHL Official Website - Single Game Records, The Western Hockey League, 2003-09-20, retrieved 2011-02-26
- Mastercard Memorial Cup Preview, Sportsnet.ca, 2010-05-11, retrieved 2011-02-26
- Puck-Rakers Blog: January 2011 Archives, The Columbus Dispatch, 2011-01-31, retrieved 2011-02-26
- Game No. 60 (Puck-Rakers Blog), The Columbus Dispatch, 2011-02-25, retrieved 2011-02-26
- "Blue Jackets' Matt Calvert gets 1 game for cross-check that broke stick". CBC Sports. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- Payne, Marissa (2017-04-15). "Blue Jackets' Matt Calvert suspended for Game 3 against Penguins after violent cross check". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "Avalanche signs Matt Calvert". Colorado Avalanche. 2018-07-01. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "Memorial Cup All-Star Teams". Memorial Cup. 2010-05-06. Archived from the original on January 7, 2016. Retrieved 2010-05-06.