|Date of birth:||March 26, 1986|
|Place of birth:||San Jose, California|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school:||San Jose (CA) Valley Christian|
|College:||San Jose State|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career AFL statistics|
|Player stats at ArenaFan.com|
Matthew Alexander "Matt" Castelo (born March 26, 1986) is a former professional gridiron football linebacker. He was signed by the Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted free agent in 2008. He played college football for the San Jose State Spartans.
Castelo was also a member of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
Born in San Jose, California to a Filipino American family, Castelo attended Valley Christian High School in San Jose, where he earned All-Central Coast Section honors twice. As a senior, he had 128 tackles, 10 sacks and was named league’s "Linebacker of the Year".
In 2006, Castelo was ranked number-two nationally with 165 total tackles. He earned second-team all-WAC honors, and was the WAC Defensive Player of the Week. In the 2006 New Mexico Bowl, Castelo had 18 tackles and 2 forced fumbles and was named the defensive Most Valuable Player. He was named to ESPN.com's all-Bowl team.
In 2007, Castelo returned as the nation’s top returning tackler in terms of career average with a 9.42 per game. Castelo had 141 tackles in his senior season. He was named to the all-WAC first team with teammate Dwight Lowery. Castelo completed his career at San Jose State with 433 (203 solo) tackles, 5.5 sacks, and 3 interceptions in 43 games.
San Jose SaberCats
On April 21, 2011, Castelo signed with the San Jose SaberCats of the Arena Football League. Castelo made his professional football debut on April 23 against the Philadelphia Soul and had 3 tackles and a sack in what would be his only game for the team.
Castelo completed his Bachelor of Science degree in business management at the San Jose State Lucas College of Business in August 2010. He is now a real estate investor "who focuses primarily on older and distressed properties."
- "Matt Castelo". San Jose State Spartans. Archived from the original on February 9, 2012. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- Tsai, Stephen (July 27, 2007). "Warriors working to protect top billing". Honolulu Advertiser. Archived from the original on August 8, 2007. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
Castelo has a strong following among fellow Filipinos. His teammates also have embraced his culture.
- Miedema, Lawrence (August 25, 2007). "Castelo: Spartans' under-the-radar standout". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Free agents: Matt Castelo" (PDF). Seattle Seahawks 2008 Media Guide. Seattle Seahawks. p. 167.
- "Castelo, Lowery First-Team All-WAC Football Selections". San Jose State Spartans. December 3, 2007. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "SaberCats Add Two Local Talents". Arena Football League. April 21, 2011. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "ArenaBowl XXII Rematch Goes to San Jose". Arena Football League. April 23, 2011. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "San Jose SaberCats Overall Defensive Statistics (Through games of Aug 25, 2011)". Arena Football League. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "2011 San Jose State University Commencement Student-Athlete Participation" (PDF). San Jose State University. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 5, 2015. Retrieved February 4, 2015.