Matt Chapman (baseball)
|Oakland Athletics – No. 26|
|Born: April 28, 1993|
|June 15, 2017, for the Oakland Athletics|
|MLB statistics |
(through May 13, 2019)
|Runs batted in||132|
|Career highlights and awards|
Matt James Chapman (born April 28, 1993) is an American professional baseball third baseman for the Oakland Athletics of Major League Baseball (MLB). In 2018 he won a Fielding Bible Award, Gold Glove Award, and Wilson Defensive Player of the Year Award.
Chapman attended El Toro High School in Lake Forest, California, and California State University, Fullerton, where he played college baseball for the Cal State Fullerton Titans. The Oakland Athletics selected Chapman in the first round of the 2014 MLB draft.
After signing, he made his professional debut with the Rookie-level Arizona League Athletics. He was promoted to the Class-A Beloit Snappers after three games. In 50 games for Beloit, he batted .237 with five home runs and 20 RBIs. He also played in one game for the Double-A Midland RockHounds at the end of the season. His entire 2015 season was spent with the Class A-Advanced Stockton Ports where he batted .250 with 23 home runs and 57 RBIs in 80 games. Chapman was invited to major league Spring Training with the Athletics in 2016. He began the season with Midland, and after slashing .244/.335/.521 with 29 home runs and 83 RBIs in 117 games, was promoted to the Triple-A Nashville Sounds in August, where he finished the season batting .197 with seven home runs and 13 RBIs in 18 games. He was selected as the Texas League Player of the Year for 2016. Chapman started the 2017 season playing for Nashville. He suffered a wrist injury on a check swing in the first series of the season and spent two weeks on the disabled list.
Chapman was promoted to the Athletics on June 15, 2017, to make his major league debut that night. In 49 games for Stockton prior to his promotion, he was batting .257 with 16 home runs and 30 RBIs. On June 16, Chapman had his first major league hit and collected 3 RBIs (including the go-ahead run) against the New York Yankees. On September 6, Chapman was thrown out of a game by umpire Mike Everitt for arguing with Los Angeles Angels catcher Juan Graterol. Chapman took exception to Graterol staring at the Oakland batters, and Graterol felt that the Athletics were trying to steal signs. He spent the remainder of the season with Oakland after his June 15 call-up, batting .234 with 14 home runs and 40 RBIs in 84 games.
Chapman was placed on the disabled list on June 16, 2018 with a bruised right thumb and activated on July 3. Chapman finished his 2018 campaign batting .278 with 24 home runs and 68 RBIs, offering solid baserunning and excellent defense as well. He underwent ulnar sided sesamoid bone excision surgery on the thumb on October 16 in Los Angeles. On October 29, Chapman received a Fielding Bible Award. On November 4, Chapman received a Rawlings Gold Glove Award as well as winning the Rawlings Platinum Glove Award  with his former high school teammate Nolan Arenado. He also won the fan vote for the Platinum Glove Award. On December 14, 2018, Chapman underwent left shoulder surgery.
Chapman has a reputation of being an elite defender who has exceptional range, arm strength and arm accuracy.
- Shea, John. "UPDATE: A's pick Matt Chapman". Blog.sfgate.com. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "Oakland A's draft Cal State Fullerton third baseman Matt Chapman with No. 25 pick". Mercurynews.com. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "A's select third baseman Chapman in first round". MLB.com. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Dykstra, Sam (August 31, 2016). "Chapman, De Jong take top Texas honors". MILB.com. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Stiglich, Joe (February 23, 2017). "Patience is A's motto with touted 3B prospect Matt Chapman". CSNBayArea.com. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- Lockard, Melissa (April 22, 2017). "Oakland A's MLN: Sonny Gray rehabs, Matt Chapman returns". Scout.com. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- Lee, Jane (June 15, 2017). "A's promote prospect Chapman from Triple-A". MLB.com. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- "Matt Chapman Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Lee, Jane (September 6, 2017). "Chapman ejected after incident at home plate". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "A's activate Chapman (bruised thumb) from DL". ESPN.com. July 3, 2018. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Ross, Ben (18 October 2018). "A's Chapman has thumb surgery, but he should be fine". NBC Sports Bay Area. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Shea, John (29 October 2018). "A's Matt Chapman, Matt Olson win defensive awards". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Schulman, Henry (5 November 2018). "A's Matt Chapman, Matt Olson win Gold Gloves; Giants shut out". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Park, Do-Hyoung (9 November 2018). "Arenado, Chapman win Platinum Gloves". Major League Baseball. Retrieved 10 November 2018.
- "Platinum Glove Award". BaseballAlmanac. March 25, 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- "Matt Chapman (shoulder surgery) to swing in 6 weeks". MLB. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Chapman.|