Matt Davidson (baseball)
|Chicago White Sox – No. 24|
March 26, 1991 |
|August 11, 2013, for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
(through May 28, 2017)
|Runs batted in||38|
Matthew Glen Davidson (born March 26, 1991) is an American professional baseball third baseman for the Chicago White Sox of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his MLB debut with the Arizona Diamondbacks during the 2013 season.
Davidson attended Yucaipa High School in Yucaipa, California. He committed to attend the University of Southern California (USC) on a scholarship to play college baseball for the USC Trojans baseball team. After graduating from high school, the Arizona Diamondbacks selected Davidson in the first round of the 2009 Major League Baseball draft. Davidson signed with the Diamondbacks, forgoing his college commitment.
In 2010, Davidson played for the South Bend Silver Hawks of the Class A Midwest League, and hit 16 home runs. He was promoted to the Visalia Rawhide of the Class A-Advanced California League later that season. Prior to the 2011 season, Davidson was ranked as the 99th best prospect by Baseball America. He played for Visalia in 2011. Prior to 2012, he was ranked 97th. That year, he played for the Mobile BayBears of the Class AA Southern League.
Davidson began the 2013 season with the Reno Aces of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League. He appeared in the All-Star Futures Game in 2013, and was named the game's most valuable player after he hit a go-ahead two-run home run. A day later, he won the 2013 Triple-A All Star Home Run Derby, hitting 11 home runs across the three rounds, including seven in the first round, to surpass Brock Peterson's 10. The Diamondbacks promoted Davidson to the major leagues on August 11, 2013. He debuted that night with a 1-for-3 performance as an injury substitute for Cody Ross.
Chicago White Sox
On December 16, 2013, the Diamondbacks traded Davidson to the Chicago White Sox for pitcher Addison Reed. He played for the Charlotte Knights of the Class AAA International League in 2014 and 2015. He began the 2016 season with Charlotte and was promoted to the major leagues on June 30, 2016. In his first game with the White Sox, he fractured his foot.
On April 6, 2017, Davidson hit his first career-triple at his first at-bat since breaking his foot in 2016 against the Detroit Tigers. He hit his first home-run for the White Sox, a three-run blast in the fourth inning. He finished the game logging two hits, two runs, and three RBIs.
- "D-backs load up on bats in Draft". Arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com. May 24, 2013. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- "BASEBALL: For Yucaipa's Taijuan Walker, Matt Davidson, the Futures is now". Dailynews.com. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "2011 Top 100 Prospects: 81-100". Baseballamerica.com. February 23, 2011. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- "2012 Top 100 Prospects". Baseballamerica.com. February 21, 2012. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- Mayo, Jonathan. "MLB.com – Davidson named Futures Game MVP after big homer". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- Ravich, Jared (July 16, 2013). "MLB.com – Back home, Davidson wins Derby". Milb.com. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- "Diamondbacks place Chavez on DL, recall Davidson, De la Rosa". The Washington Post. Associated Press. Archived from the original on August 11, 2013. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- "Andrew Brown's pinch-hit HR helps Mets dump D-Backs". ESPN. Associated Press. August 12, 2013. Retrieved April 28, 2017.
- McManaman, Bob (August 11, 2013). "Arizona Diamondbacks’ Matt Davidson debuts after Cody Ross’ injury". The Arizona Republic. Retrieved April 28, 2017.
- Gleeman, Aaron (2013-11-26). "Diamondbacks trade for White Sox closer Addison Reed". NBC Sports. NBC Universal. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- Kane, Colleen (2016-06-30). "Matt Davidson hurt in White Sox debut as bad rookie luck continues". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2017-04-08.
- Schoch, Matt (2017-04-06). "Davidson, Soto power White Sox past Tigers, 11-2". AP News. Retrieved 2017-04-08.