Duffie playing for Melbourne in 2010
|Full name||Matthew Duffie|
16 August 1990 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||192 cm (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||92 kg (14 st 7 lb)|
As of 28 October 2016
Matthew Duffie (born 16 August 1990) is a New Zealand professional rugby union footballer who currently plays for the Blues in Super Rugby. He previously played rugby league with the Melbourne Storm in the National Rugby League and was a part of their under-20s Premiership winning team in 2009, scoring 25 tries. On 1 May 2011, he was selected for the New Zealand Kiwis for the 2011 ANZAC Test.
Duffie attended Saint Kentigern College in Pakuranga, Auckland, New Zealand, where he was a part of the school's First XV, playing at fullback. He also excelled at athletics, making the national finals of the 200 m, 400 m and high jump. He graduated his final year in 2008.
Rugby league career
He scored two tries in his NRL debut in round seven of the 2010 season. and ended the year with a tally of 8 from 14 games played. In the same year, he was named the Melbourne Storm Rookie of the Year.
In April 2011, Duffie signed a three-year extension to his contract with the Storm, taking him to the end of the 2014 season.
In 2012, he scored 10 tries in the 17 games he played. In the Storm's round 19 match against the North Queensland Cowboys, he suffered another shoulder dislocation injury, to the same shoulder (left) as in 2011. This caused him to miss out on Melbourne's 2012 Grand Final win.
After returning from his shoulder reconstruction, Duffie played the opening four games for the Storm during the 2013 season. He started the year scoring three tries, including a double against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium. Following this, Duffie tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee and re-injured his right shoulder whilst playing for the Cronulla Sharks in round 5 of the New South Wales Cup competition. This injury ended his 2013 season.
Duffie returned to the lineup in 2014 playing in Melbourne's opening trial against the Canberra Raiders. He went to New Zealand and played in the NRL Auckland Nines competition, where he played in all three of the Storm's games. On 19 February, Duffie collided with a teammate during a training session and injured the same knee from 2013, rupturing his left anterior cruciate ligament. This caused him to miss the entire 2014 season. In late September 2014, he signed a one-year extension contract to the Storm, seeing him through to the end of 2015.
Rugby union career
- "League: It's Storm all the way for talented teen". The New Zealand Herald. 1 October 2008. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "Auckland Rugby Union – News Article". Aucklandrugby.co.nz. 26 May 2008. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/default.aspx?s=player-profile-display&id=312 Archived 20 February 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- Tony Smith and Steve Kilgallon (2 May 2011). "Canterbury league club hails first Kiwis rep". The Press. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- Russell Gould (21 June 2010). "Matt Duffie to stay loyal to NRL | thetelegraph.com.au". The Daily Telegraph. Australia. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "Muddy Storm thrills the Stoop as champions prove their class". Quins. 21 February 2010. Retrieved 22 February 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "League: Storm 40 Warriors 6". The New Zealand Herald. 25 April 2010. Retrieved 25 April 2010.
- "Rugby League Tables / Matthew Duffie". rleague.com. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- melbournestorm.com.au. "NRL Honour Board". Club. Melbourne Storm. Archived from the original on 28 September 2013.
- "Melbourne Storm winger Matt Duffie likely to have surgery at seasons end". Daily Telegraph (Australia). 16 July 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Duffie signs a new deal with Storm". Zerotackle. 17 April 2011. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Player Profile Matt Duffie". NRL.com. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Melbourne Storm winger Matt Duffie out of finals with shoulder injury". Herald Sun. 20 August 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "2013 Season Review: Matt Duffie". melbournestorm.com.au. 6 October 2013. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Duffie suffers season-ending ACL tear in comeback". ABC News. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Matt Duffie to miss 2014 NRL after rupturing ACL at Melbourne Storm training". ABC News. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- Melbourne Storm. "Matt Duffie re-signs with Storm". leagueunlimited.com. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Melbourne Storm winger Matt Duffie switches codes to sign two-year Blues deal". stuff.co.nz. 12 September 2015. Retrieved 13 September 2015.