Elam representing the Ravens at a charity event in 2013
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||September 21, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Palm Beach Gardens, Florida|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||208 lb (94 kg)|
|High school:||Palm Beach Gardens (FL) Dwyer|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 1 / Pick: 32|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
Matthew D. Elam (born September 21, 1991) is an American football safety who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Florida, where he earned All-American honors. He was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft.
Elam was born in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. He attended William T. Dwyer High School in Palm Beach Gardens, where he played linebacker, defensive back, running back and wide receiver for the Dwyer Panthers high school football team. As a senior, he had 1,883 rushing yards and 27 touchdowns. He was named Gatorade High School Football Player of the Year and Mr. Football for the state of Florida, and a USA Today high school All-American. He played in the 2010 U.S. Army All-American Bowl, where he announced his intent to play at the University of Florida during the game. He is the younger brother of former NFL safety Abram Elam.
Elam accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida, where he played for coach Urban Meyer and coach Will Muschamp's Florida Gators football teams from 2010 to 2012. As a freshman in 2010, Elam played in all 13 games and recorded 22 tackles. As a full-time starter during his 2011 sophomore season, he had 78 tackles, two interceptions and two quarterback sacks. Following his junior season in 2012, he was named a first-team All-American by the Associated Press, The Sporting News, CBS Sports, Scout.com and Sports Illustrated, as well as a second-team selection by the Walter Camp Football Foundation. He was also a first-team All-Southeastern Conference selection and a semifinalist for both the Thorpe Award and Bednarik Award.
2013 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 10 in||208 lb||32 in||9 in||4.43 s||1.58 s||2.53 s||35.5 in||9 ft 10 in||17 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine |
Elam was viewed as one of the top safeties in 2013 years draft class. Some experts and scouts said he lacked size for a safety with just a height of 5' 10" and maybe should be moved to corner because of that. He is known for his ability to make electrifying plays all over the field and for his emotional leadership. Most experts projected Elam to go in the mid to late first round of the NFL Draft.
The Baltimore Ravens selected him in the first round (32nd overall pick) of the 2013 NFL Draft. After a promising rookie season, Elam struggled the following year causing him to lose playing time. On August 31, 2015, Elam was placed on injured reserve, after suffering a torn bicep and missed the entire 2015 NFL season.
On May 2, 2016, the Ravens optioned not to pick up the fifth year of his contract. On September 5, 2016, Elam was placed on injured reserve. Elam was activated off injured reserve on November 5, 2016 prior to Week 9.
With declining performance since his rookie year, missing significant playing time, and given the Ravens decision to not pick up the final year of his rookie contract, Elam was considered a bust given his status as a first-round draft pick.
On February 26, 2017, Elam was arrested in Miami, Florida for possession of a 126.2 grams of marijuana and 3.1 grams of oxycodone. The Ravens released a statement regarding the upcoming free agent, stating "we are aware of the arrest of Matt Elam. Matt is not in our plans for the 2017 Ravens", indicating their plans of moving on from Elam.
NFL career statistics
Note: Statistics are correct through Week 17 of the 2016 NFL season.
- 2012 College Football All-America Team
- List of Florida Gators football All-Americans
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- GATORADE NAMES MATT ELAM FLORIDA PLAYER OF THE YEAR
- MATT ELAM WILL BE NAMED 2009 MR. FOOTBALL
- "Elam succeeds in the wake of tragedy". espn.go.com. Retrieved December 22, 2009.
- "UF's Elam shows strength in times of tragedy". foxsportsflorida.com. Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- "Chiefs make Eric Fisher top pick". ESPN. April 25, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "Ravens Place Matt Elam, Three Others On Injured Reserve". baltimoreravens.com. August 31, 2015. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Mink, Ryan. "Ravens Place Carl Davis, Matt Elam on IR, Sign Devin Hester". BaltimoreRavens.com.
- Ryan, Mink (November 5, 2016). "Ravens Safety Matt Elam Activated to 53-Man Roster". BaltimoreRavens.com.
- "Baltimore Ravens: 3 Biggest Draft Busts In Franchise History | FOX Sports". FOX Sports. 2017-01-24. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- Smith, Michael David (February 26, 2017). "Ravens’ Matt Elam arrested on drug charges". Profootballtalk.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Mink, Ryan (February 26, 2017). "Reports: Matt Elam Arrested In Florida On Drug Charges". BaltimoreRavens.com.