|Full name||Matthew King Every|
December 4, 1983 |
Daytona Beach, Florida
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||190 lb (86 kg)|
|Residence||Jacksonville Beach, Florida|
|College||University of Florida|
|Current tour(s)||PGA Tour|
|Former tour(s)||Nationwide Tour|
|Number of wins by tour|
|Best results in major championships
|Masters Tournament||CUT: 2014, 2015|
|U.S. Open||T28: 2005|
|The Open Championship||71st: 2014|
|PGA Championship||71st: 2012|
|Achievements and awards|
|Ben Hogan Award||2006|
Every was born in Daytona Beach, Florida. He attended Mainland High School in Daytona Beach, where he played for the Mainland Buccaneers men's golf team. He was recognized as the Volusia County Golfer of the Year for four consecutive years, and was an all-state selection after his junior and senior seasons.
Every accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Buddy Alexander's Florida Gators men's golf team in National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) competition from 2003 to 2006.
During his career as a Gator golfer, he was a three-time first-team All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) selection (2004, 2005, 2006), and a four-time All-American (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006). As an amateur, he played in the 2005 U.S. Open at Pinehurst in North Carolina and finished in a tie for 28th place. He was the recipient of the Ben Hogan Award, recognizing the best college golfer in the United States in 2006.
Every turned professional after completing his NCAA eligibility in 2006. Before he found success on any major golf tour after turning professional, he competed on The Golf Channel's original series The Big Break, in Mesquite, Nevada. Every played in a select few PGA Tour and Nationwide Tour events between 2006 and 2007. Then at Q-School in December 2007, he missed a place on the PGA Tour by just two strokes, but was rewarded with a place on the Nationwide Tour in 2008. In his second start in 2008, he finished runner-up in the Mexico Open. He finished the season with four top-10 finishes and made $180,000 in earnings, just outside the top 25 in earnings.
In his 2009 sophomore year on the Nationwide Tour, Every was ranked forty-ninth on the money list going into the Nationwide Tour Championship, needing a third-place finish or better to obtain his PGA Tour card for 2010. He had made fifteen of twenty-five cuts and had three top-10 finishes entering the season's final event. He shot a second-round 63 to take the 36-hole lead, a lead he did not relinquish. He won the event by three shots over Nationwide Tour money leader Michael Sim. The win vaulted him to tenth on the money list, and qualifying him as a PGA Tour rookie for 2010.
However, in 2010 Every finished 140th and dropped back to the Nationwide Tour for 2011. He finished 2011 in 18th place and returned to the PGA Tour, where he has remained through 2015.
Every was one of three men arrested in a hotel in Bettendorf, Iowa and charged with possession of marijuana on July 6, 2010. In a statement, he denied possessing the drug but apologized for poor judgment. He was subsequently suspended for ninety (90) days from the Tour.
His daughter Quinn Palmer is named after the site of his first PGA Tour win.
Professional wins (3)
PGA Tour wins (2)
|No.||Date||Tournament||Winning score||To par||Margin of
|1||Mar 23, 2014||Arnold Palmer Invitational||69-70-66-70=275||−13||1 stroke||Keegan Bradley|
|2||Mar 22, 2015||Arnold Palmer Invitational (2)||68-66-69-66=269||−19||1 stroke||Henrik Stenson|
Nationwide Tour (1)
|No.||Date||Tournament||Winning score||Margin of
|1||Oct 25, 2009||Nationwide Tour Championship||−21 (70-63-67-67=267)||3 strokes||Michael Sim|
Results in major championships
|The Open Championship||71||CUT|
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" = tied for place
U.S. national team appearances
- 2009 Nationwide Tour graduates
- 2011 Nationwide Tour graduates
- List of Florida Gators men's golfers on the PGA Tour
- GatorZone.com, Men's Golf History, 2006 Roster, Matt Every profile Archived 2012-04-02 at the Wayback Machine.; retrieved July 14, 2011.
- Florida Men's Golf 2011 Media Supplement Archived 2012-04-02 at the Wayback Machine., University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 4, 28, 34, 39, 41 (2010); retrieved July 13, 2011.
- 2008-09 Florida Gators Men's Golf Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, p. 36 (2008); retrieved July 14, 2011.
- Matt Every at the PGA Tour official site
- Associated Press, "PGA Tour rookie Matt Every denies pot possession", Golf.com (July 9, 2010); retrieved July 14, 2011.
- Kevin Maguire, "Robert Garrigus: Players smoked pot", ESPN.com (July 1, 2011); retrieved July 14, 2011.
- This is the best picture we can find of Matt Every's Oasis tattoo
- How Matt Every is honoring the site of his first PGA Tour win