|Full name||Matthew Jacob Grimes|
|Date of birth||15 July 1995|
|Place of birth||Exeter, England|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:00, 24 May 2015 (UTC).
He began his career at Exeter City, where he made his professional debut in League Two in August 2013. In January 2015, he was signed by Premier League club Swansea for an undisclosed fee believed to be around £1.75 million. Grimes has also represented England at under-20 level.
Born in Exeter, Devon, Grimes came through his hometown club Exeter City's academy and was given a professional contract by the club in April 2013. He made his League Two debut on 17 August 2013 in a 2–0 victory over AFC Wimbledon at St James Park. In February 2014, Exeter City manager Paul Tisdale described Grimes as the best young player he had seen in his 8 years at the club praising his technical ability and reading of the game. On 18 April, away at Chesterfield's Proact Stadium, he scored his first professional goal for relegation-threatened Exeter, a deflected free kick in the 18th minute to open a 1–1 draw against the highly-ranked opponents. Grimes won Exeter's player of the season award at the end of the 2013–14 season and that summer committed his immediate future to the club despite reported interest from various Premier League sides.
On 2 January 2015, Grimes signed for Premier League side Swansea City with Exeter City receiving an undisclosed club record fee, believed to be in the region of £1.75 million. He completed 90 minutes for the Swansea under-21 side in a 2–1 win against Queens Park Rangers on 27 January. On 1 February, Grimes was called up a Swansea matchday squad for the first time, remaining an unused substitute as they won 1–0 away to Southampton. His debut for the team came on 4 April, as a 90th-minute substitute for Jonjo Shelvey in a 3–1 win over Hull City at the Liberty Stadium. He scored his first goal for the club against York City in the League Cup on 25 August 2015.
On 28 August 2014, Grimes received his first call-up to the England national under-20 team for the friendly match against Romania. In March 2015, Grimes came off the bench to captain the Under 20s in a win against Mexico. He also scored a penalty in the eventual shoot-out following a 1–1 draw. 4 days later, he started as captain at Home Park in 2–1 win over the United States, wearing the number 7 shirt.
As a 15-year-old he was part of St Peter's AirBadgers Ultimate Frisbee team that won the Junior National Championships for the third year in a row in 2011. He was voted the most valuable player as AirBadgers beat Brighton in the final 13–1.
- As of match played 23 September 2015.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Exeter City||2013–14||League Two||35||1||1||0||0||0||1[a]||0||37||1|
|Swansea City||2014–15||Premier League||3||0||0||0||0||0||—||3||0|
|Swansea City||2015–16||Premier League||0||0||0||0||2||1||—||2||1|
- Appearance in Football League Trophy
- "Professional retain list & free transfers 2012/13" (PDF). The Football League. 18 May 2013. p. 61. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 August 2014.
- "Premier League Player Profile Matt Grimes". Premier League. Barclays Premier League. 2015. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Two scholars handed contracts with Exeter". exetercityfc.co.uk. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Exeter 2 – 0 Wimbledon". BBC Sport. 17 August 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "BBC Sport – Matt Grimes 'best Exeter prospect in years' says boss Paul Tisdale". BBC Sport.
- "Chesterfield 1–1 Exeter". BBC Sport. 18 April 2014. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "BBC Sport – Matt Grimes plans to stay at Exeter City despite top-flight rumours". BBC Sport.
- "League Two Team of the Year: Matt Grimes in after Exeter stint". BBC Sport. 26 April 2015. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "Matt Grimes: Swansea City sign midfielder from Exeter City". BBC Sport. 2 January 2015. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Strickland, Jamie (1 February 2015). "Southampton 0–1 Swansea". BBC Sport. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- Westall, Rob (4 April 2015). "Swansea 3–1 Hull". BBC Sport. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "Swansea 3-0 York". BBC Sport. 25 August 2015. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- "Aidy Boothroyd names U20 squad to face Romania". The FA. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "The rise of Exeter City's £1.75m golden boy: Matt Grimes – from Stoke Hill to the Premier League?". Exeter Express and Echo. 1 January 2015. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Games played by Matt Grimes in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Games played by Matt Grimes in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- Matt Grimes player profile at Exeter City
- Matt Grimes career statistics at Soccerbase
- Matt Grimes profile at Soccerway