Matt Harrold playing for Wycombe Wanderers
|Full name||Matthew James Harrold|
|Date of birth||25 July 1984|
|Place of birth||Leyton, London, England|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|2002||Wingate & Finchley||20||(9)|
|2004–2005||→ Dagenham & Redbridge (loan)||4||(1)|
|2005||→ Grimsby Town (loan)||6||(2)|
|2015||→ Cambridge United (loan)||6||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:17, 23 February 2015 (UTC).
Matthew James "Matt" Harrold (born 25 July 1984 in Leyton, Greater London) is an English professional footballer who plays for Crawley Town. Harrold has had numerous previous clubs including Wycombe Wanderers, Southend United, Grays Athletic, Harlow Town, Brentford, Yeovil Town, Shrewsbury Town as well as loan spells at Grimsby Town, Dagenham & Redbridge and Cambridge United
- 1 Club career
- 1.1 Early career
- 1.2 Brentford
- 1.3 Yeovil Town
- 1.4 Southend United
- 1.5 Wycombe Wanderers
- 1.6 Shrewsbury Town
- 1.7 Bristol Rovers
- 2 References
- 3 External links
He is a former pupil of Trinity Catholic High School, Woodford Green, he was initially a product of Southend United's youth set-up, although he departed for non-league football and played at Grays Athletic, Wingate & Finchley and Harlow Town.
Brentford signed Harrold from Harlow Town in July 2003. He showed early promise in the 2003–04 season when he scored a hat-trick against non-league Gainsborough Trinity in the FA Cup. Later that season he also scored crucial goals in the league against Colchester United and future club Wycombe Wanderers to help Brentford to safety.
The following season, 2004–05. he was loaned out twice. His first loan was to Dagenham & Redbridge in the Conference. He scored on his debut against Accrington Stanley but didn't score again in 3 more appearances for the club. Upon his return to Brentford he played as a substitute in their memorable 2–2 draw at Premier League side Southampton in the FA Cup fifth round. However shortly afterwards he was sent out on loan again, to Grimsby Town. He again scored on his debut, this time against Oxford United, and scored again in his second appearance against Boston United. However these would be his only 2 goals for the club and he returned to Brentford again to help in their promotion push. Brentford made it into the play offs but lost in the semi-finals to Sheffield Wednesday.
Harrold signed for Yeovil in 2005 for an undisclosed small fee. He was signed by manager Gary Johnson, but within months Johnson had left to become manager of Bristol City. However, Harrold went on to score 9 league goals in his only full season at the club. Highlights included a brace in a 4–3 win at Scunthorpe United and a goal against former club Brentford.
Harrold joined Southend after a long-running summer transfer saga which ended with him being signed an hour before the transfer deadline on 31 August 2006. He scored his first goal for Southend against West Bromwich Albion on 16 September 2006. Over the next two seasons he only managed 5 further goals in all competitions.
Harrold joined Wycombe on 1 September 2008 on a free transfer on a two-year contract after being released by Southend. On, 4 October 2008, He scored his first goal in a Wycombe shirt in a 3–1 home win over Bournemouth. On 10 November 2008, He went on to score his first hat trick for the club on 10 November in an FA Cup first round match against AFC Wimbledon, which Wycombe went on to win 4–1. 2 weeks later he netted 2 goals, which led to a 4–2 win over Port Vale. He added another goal to his tally a week later in a 2–0 win away at Notts County. On 20 December 2008, he scored the match winning goal for Wycombe away at Shrewsbury. 6 days later he netted Wycombes only goal in a 1–1 draw with Exeter City. 15-day later on 3 January 2009, he scored for Wycombe in 2–0 win over Bury. On 31 January 2009, he scored Wycombe's only goal of the match in a 3–1 loss away at Bournemouth. 7 Days later he scored an 80th-minute goal which won Wycombe's match against Accrington Stanley; this was the last goal Matt Harrold scored for Wycombe in the 2008–09 season.
He scored his first goal for Wycombe in 2009–10 season in 1–1 draw against his former club Southend, on 18 August 2009. 4 days later he scored in Wycombe's 5–2 loss at Carrow Road. Harrold was released by Wycombe on 11 May 2010, after the club's relegation to League Two.
In July 2010, Harrold was on trial at Swedish Superettan club Örgryte IS, before joining Shrewsbury Town. On 10 August 2010, he scored his first goal for Shrewsbury in a 4–3 win over Charlton Athletic. On 21 August 2010, He was red carded in 1–1 draw against Aldershot after receiving his second yellow card. On 28 August 2010, Harrold scored a goal in the 4–0 rout against Stockport County.
Harrold signed for Bristol Rovers in June 2011, for an undisclosed fee on a two-year contract. He scored his first goal for the club on his debut against Wimbledon, in which they won 3–2. He scored his second goal of the season against in the 2–2 draw on 10 September 2011 against Bradford City. His first home goal won the game for Bristol Rovers against Northampton Town. He converted his first penalty in a 2–0 home win against Dagenham & Redbridge, on 29 October 2011. On 26 December 2011, He scored 2 first half goals in a home match against West Country rivals Plymouth Argyle, which rovers went on to lose 3–2 after leading 2–0 at half time. 5 days later he scored a goal in Bristol Rovers 5–2 loss against Crewe Alexandra at the Memorial Stadium. He went on a 5-game goal drought before scoring his next goal, which was scored against local rivals Torquay United. 10 days later he scored another goal against Plymouth Argyle at Home Park on 20 March 2012, which Rovers drew 1–1. On 14 April 2012, he added two more goals to his tally in 7–1 rout against Burton Albion, and another two in a 5–1 victory for Bristol Rovers at home to Accrington Stanley.
In his first season at Bristol Rovers, he went on to score 18 goals and finished as the club's leading scorer for the season.
On 21 August 2012, Harrold scored his first goal in the 2012–13 season for Bristol Rovers, in a 1–1 draw away at Barnet. On 15 September 2012 in a 4–0 loss against Gillingham, Harrold sustained an severe knee injury and was unlikely to feature in any more games in 2012–13 season for Bristol Rovers. However, Harrold made a substitute appearance in the final game of the season against Torquay, scoring in the last minute, to the delight of Rovers fans, players and staff.
On 27 June 2014, Harrold joined League One side Crawley Town after impressing manager John Gregory while playing for Rovers against Crawley in the FA Cup the previous season
On 23 February 2015, Harrold joined league 2 side Cambridge United on a loan until the end of the season.
- "Brentford 7–1 Gainsborough". BBC. 8 November 2003. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Brentford 3–2 Colchester". BBC. 12 April 2004. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Brentford 1–1 Wycombe". BBC. 24 April 2004. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Accrington 0–3 Dag & Red". BBC. 18 December 2004. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Southampton 2–2 Brentford". BBC. 19 February 2005. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Oxford Utd 1–2 Grimsby". BBC. 5 March 2005. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Boston 1–1 Grimsby". BBC. 11 March 2005. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Yeovil sign Bees striker Harrold". BBC. 30 June 2005. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Scunthorpe 3–4 Yeovil". BBC. 1 October 2005. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Brentford 3–2 Yeovil". BBC. 6 December 2005. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "West Brom 1–1 Southend". BBC. 16 September 2006. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Wycombe pounce for Harrold". Sky Sports. 1 September 2008. Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- "Harrold stars in Wycombe win". Sky Sports. 10 November 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-11-13. Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- Shrewsbury Town sign Wycombe's Matt Harrold « Shropshire Star
- "Shrewsbury 1 – 1 Aldershot". BBC Sport. 21 August 2010. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "Stockport 0–4 Shrewsbury Town". BBC Sport. 28 August 2010. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "Bristol Rovers sign Shrewsbury Town's Matt Harrold". BBC Sport. 16 June 2011. Retrieved 16 June 2011.
- "Bradford 2–2 Bristol Rovers". BBC Sport. 10 September 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- "Barnet 1–1 Bristol Rovers". BBC Sport. 21 August 2012. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- "Bristol Rovers striker Matt Harrold ruled out for the season". BBC Sport. 18 September 2012. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- BBC Sport - Torquay 3-3 Bristol Rovers
- BBC Sport - Matt Harrold joins Cambridge United from Crawley on loan