Matt Hill (CEO)
Matt Hill (born 1970, Melbourne, Australia) is the CEO of Globe International and the producer and director of several feature films and documentaries, including Love the Beast (2009) and Down and Out with the Dolls (2001) as producer and Almost: Round Three (2004) and Opinion (2001) as director.
Matt Hill was born and raised in Australia. Matt began skateboarding, as a young teenager, with his older brothers, Peter and Stephen Hill who founded Hardcore Enterprises, which grew into the skateboard and surfwear company, Globe International. Matt assisted his brothers with their early business ventures, including the distribution of skateboard hardware and clothing and the promotion of skateboard tours and events in Australia. Through the 1980s the brothers continued to build the skateboard, footwear and clothing distribution business.
After high school, Matt Hill studied economics and psychology, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) from the University of Melbourne. He then moved to the USA in 1995, attending the University of Southern California, graduating with a Masters Degree in Film Production and producing an Academy Award (Oscar) winning student film. He subsequently produced and directed numerous documentaries and feature films mostly under the film production company he founded, again with his brothers, in 1998, Whyte House Entertainment. Whyte House Entertainment produced a variety of film, television and online productions working with noted talent such as Eric Bana, Ice-T, and Lemmy Kilmister.
During the same period in the 1990s, the skateboard business expanded into a broader youth culture company and international proprietary brands were created such as Globe, Gallaz and Mooks, producing clothing and footwear. This led to international expansion with operations established in the EU and the USA. Matt Hill helped co-found the North American operation of Globe International, overseeing the development of new product lines and brands for the company.
The three brothers successfully oversaw a public listing of the Globe International Company in 2001 on the Australian Stock Exchange leading to listings on the BRW Rich 200 list. In 2004, Matt Hill was appointed the worldwide CEO of Globe International Limited continuing in through that role to the current day, Hill remains active in the film industry and is based in the Los Angeles Globe office. Hill has most recently executive produced the award winning surf short film Electric Blue Heaven (2012)
1998 The Paperboy (short film) Director
1998 Canvas: The 'Skateboarding documentary (television documentary) Director
2000 The Heist (feature film) Producer
2001 Opinion (skate video) Director
2001 Tic Tac 2 Heelflip (television documentary) Executive Producer
2001 Down and Out with the Dolls (feature film) Producer
2002 Globe World Cup Skateboarding (TV movie) Executive Producer
2002 AKA: Girl Skater (documentary) Producer
2003 Battalion (skate video) Executive Producer
2003 The Globe World Cup Skateboarding (TV movie) Executive Producer
2004 Almost: Round Three (skate video) Director
2004 AKA: Girl Surfer (documentary) Executive Producer
2004 The Globe World Cup Skateboarding (TV movie) Executive Producer
2004 Somewhere, Anywhere, Everywhere (surf video) Producer
2005 The Globe World Cup Skateboarding (television special) Executive Producer
2005 What If? (skate video) Producer
2005 Globe WCT Fiji (TV movie) Executive Producer
2005 Globe Wildcard Skateboarding (television special) Executive Producer
2006 The Global Assault!!! (television special) Executive Producer
2006 Secret Machine (video) Executive Producer
2006 Cheese & Crackers (skate video) Executive Producer
2006 2006 Globe WCT FIJI (television special) Executive Producer
2007 United by Fate 1 (television special) Executive Producer
2007 The Man Who Souled the World (feature documentary) Producer
2007 Money for Blood (television special) Executive Producer
2007 Inaugural Hobgood Challenge (documentary) Executive Producer
2007 United by Fate 2 (television special) Executive Producer
2008 United by Fate 4 (television special) Executive Producer
2008 Slaughter at the Opera (television special) Executive Producer
2008 United by Fate 3 (television special) Executive Producer
2008 New Emissions of Light and Sound (video documentary) Executive Producer
2009 United by Fate 5 (television special) Executive Producer
2009 The Blind Video (video documentary short) Producer
2009 Love the Beast (feature documentary) Producer
2009 2008 Globe Pro Fiji (television special) Executive Producer
2010 United by Fate 6 (television special) Executive Producer
2010 Ungu (short film) Executive Producer
2011 This Is Not a Test (skate video) Producer
2011 Year Zero" (surf video) Executive Producer
2012 Electric Blue Heaven (surf video) Executive Producer
2014 Strange Rumblings in Shangri-LA (surf video) Executive Producer
- Dirk Vogel (2014). "The Friday Interview:Globe CEO Matt Hill on 30 Years of Globe". Boardsport Source: European Surf Skate Snow Business. BoardsportSource Magazine. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Aussie Rules Skateboarding". Transworld Skateboarding. 14 May 2002. Retrieved 20 January 2012.
- 26-Aug-2010 'Globe CEO Matt Hill on company's turnaround', Mike Lewis, Transworld Business, retrieved 6-Dec-2011
- 17-Sep-2004 'Globe's new CEO knows his skateboards', Jeff Turnbull, Sydney Morning Herald, retrieved 7-Dec-2011
- 17-Sep-2004 'Skateboard rider leaps corporate hurdle', Simon Evans, The Australian Financial Review
- Mr October at IMDB
- Whyte House Entertainment, Company profile, retrieved 6-Dec-2011
- 17-Sep-2004,'Genius at Globe', The Sydney Morning Herald, retrieved 7-Dec-2011
- 21-Jun-2001 'Australia's Globetrotters', Patty Huntington, Women's Wear Daily, p.7
- 25-May-2001 'Globe hits the boards with a cool 52% jump', Mark Todd, The Sydney Morning Herald, p.23
- 25-May-2011 'Trio skating on very rich ice', Eli Greenblat, The Age, p.1, Business
- "Skateboarding brothers hit jackpot on ASX". The Courier Mail (Brisbane). 25 May 2001. p. Finance, p.33.
- 2-Nov-2010 'Balanced approach pays off for Globe International', Blair Speedy, The Australian, retrieved 7-Dec-2011
- 19-Sep-2004 'Skateboarder named Globe CEO', Alan Kohler, Inside Business interview transcript, retrieved 7-Dec-2011
- 17-Sep-2004 'Hill on top of Globe', Herald Sun, p.73
- 1-Mar-2010, 'Globe CEO on making a profit in a downturn', Tiffany Montgomery, Shop-Eat-Surf.Com, retrieved 7-Dec-2011
- "How Globe managed to turn the tide". Boardsports Source. 13 September 2010. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- 3-Mar-2005 'Profile: Skate expectations', Jacqui Walker, Business Review Weekly, p.36-39.
- "Surfer Magazine". 2012 Surfer Poll Results. GrindMedia. 7 December 2012. Retrieved 14 January 2013.