November 29, 1987 |
Brentwood Bay, British Columbia
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||210 lb (95 kg; 15 st 0 lb)|
San Jose Sharks
Matthew Irwin (born November 29, 1987) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player under contract with the Nashville Predators of the National Hockey League (NHL). Irwin has previously played in the NHL for the San Jose Sharks and Boston Bruins.
He was named best defenseman in the British Columbia Hockey League Coastal Conference two years in a row, 2007 and 2008, while playing for the Nanaimo Clippers. He continued his career playing at the college level for the UMass Minutemen of Hockey East.
As an undrafted free agent, Irwin agreed to a contract with the Worcester Sharks of the AHL. Irwin scored 73 points in his first two seasons, and was signed by parent affiliate, the San Jose Sharks after injuries to Jason Demers and Brent Burns.
Irwin scored his first NHL goal on January 26, 2013 against Semyon Varlamov of the Colorado Avalanche. In 38 games with the Sharks in 2013, Irwin scored six goals and six assists, while averaging 2.1 shots on goal per game, the most by a rookie defenseman.
On April 3, 2013, Irwin signed a two-year contract extension with the Sharks.
On July 10, 2015, Irwin signed a one-year contract with the Boston Bruins. Irwin made the opening-night roster with Boston for the 2015–16 season. On October 11, 2015, Irwin was waived by Boston after a -5 plus/minus in his first two games. He was re-assigned to Boston's AHL affiliate, the Providence Bruins, the following day.
On July 1, 2016, having concluded his contract with the Bruins, Irwin left as a free agent to sign a one-year, two-way deal with the Nashville Predators.
|2012–13||San Jose Sharks||NHL||38||6||6||12||10||11||0||1||1||10|
|2013–14||San Jose Sharks||NHL||62||2||17||19||35||2||1||0||1||0|
|2014–15||San Jose Sharks||NHL||51||8||11||19||18||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Matt Irwin". eliteprospects.com. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- Dubow, Josh (2013-05-11). "Sharks rely on rookie D Matt Irwin (scroll down for article text)". Yahoo! Sports. Archived from the original on 2013-06-10. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- "Marleau makes history as Sharks blank Avs". National Hockey League. 2013-01-26. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- "Sharks extend Irwin two-years". San Jose Sharks. April 3, 2013. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- "Bruins sign defenseman Matt Irwin to a one-year contract". Boston Bruins. July 10, 2015. Retrieved July 10, 2015.
- "Bruins Assign Matt Irwin to the Providence Bruins". Boston Bruins. October 12, 2015. Retrieved October 14, 2015.
- "Predators add Irwin via one-year contract". Nashville Predators. 2016-07-01. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Irwin.|