Matt James (rugby league)
|Full name||Matthew James|
26 March 1987 |
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||15 st 10 lb (100 kg)|
As of 18 April 2017
Matt James (born 26 March 1987) is a British professional rugby league footballer for Sheffield Eagles of the RFL Championship. A Wales international representative prop forward, he previously played in Super League for English clubs Harlequins and Bradford, and in the Co-operative Championship for Barrow.
Born in Wakefield, James made great progress after joining Bradford from Eastmoor on the advice of Brian McDermott. He represented the Senior side in his first two seasons whilst still eligible for the Junior Academy. James has played for both England and Yorkshire in his junior career.
In 2007 James was given some extra games and made 12 appearances and ended 2007 with a call up to the Wales team for the 2008 World Cup qualifiers. He was named in the Wales squad to face England at the Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster, prior to England's departure for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup, but had to withdraw through injury. It was announced on 20 September 2008 that James would be on at loan Halifax for the 2009 season, but returned to Bradford on 23 February 2009. On 2 March 2010 he had his contract with Harlequins RL cancelled by mutual consent after an ineffective spell at the club. In November 2012, James left Wakefield and signed a two-year contract with Featherstone Rovers. He commenced playing for Sheffield Eagles in 2016.
- "Crusaders dominate Wales' squad". BBC. 2008-10-03. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- "James cancels contract by mutual consent". Quins. 2 March 2010. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- "Matt James quits Harlequins to return north". BBC. 2 March 2010. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- "Wakefield prop Matt James joins Featherstone to replace retired skipper Stuart Dickens". Sky Sports. 8 November 2012. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Sheffield Eagles profile
- Harlequins sign Matt James from Bradford at londonbroncosrl.com
- Profile at bradfordbulls.co.uk
- Meet Matt James at londonbroncosrl.com
- Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org
- Matt James quits Harlequins to return north
- Raiders sign former Harlequins prop Matt James
- Gareth Thomas targets fitness for Wales' autumn Tests