Matt Kaye (Matej Krajnc) was born in 1975 in Maribor, Slovenia (EU). He holds a master's degree in comparative literature from the Faculty of Arts, Ljubljana, Slovenia. He published his first book in 1988 and started combining poetry and music into a singer-songwriter routine in 1992. Between 1998 and 2017 he recorded over 100 albums for various labels in Slovenia and Croatia, participated in nearly every important literary-music festival in Slovenia, worked for Slovenian national radio and other media as a musical connoisseur, and wrote/translated around 70 books as a member of Slovenia's National Writers’ Association, PEN Association and National Literary Translators Association. He has written several monographs, including a book on the works of Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, The Beatles and Slovenian singers Oto Pestner and Lado Leskovar. He has translated poems and wrote professional articles on Alexander Pope, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, Kris Kristofferson and many others. He writes musical/literary reviews and articles for many newspapers and reviews in Slovenia, including Delo (Književni listi), Odzven, Nova muska, Glasna, and Literatura. He is known to play a Rickenbacker 620 Maple Glo guitar, a Martin USA 12-string acoustic and several Fender and Gibson electric and acoustic guitars.
The Harm, single, Feb. 2018
But/Toy Balloons, single, Mar. 2018
Cerebral Palsy Blues/Snowball Jesus Westenra, single, May 18
I Came From Memphis, Jun. 2018
The Song of Cicadas, Febr. 2019
Things, Mar. 2019
The Wedding Song/Hush, Apr. 2019
The Suburban Song, May 2019
Where You've Been, May 2019
Wrong Dreams, June 2019
Widgets, Or Else, Feb. 18
Four Square Meters, Jul. 18
Rock'n'Roll, Aug. 18
Unarranged, Kvakas/Slušaj najglasnije!, Jun. 2018
Gettin' Things Done, Slušaj najglasnije!, Jul. 2018
The Guardian (upcoming), 2019
Blind Boy Spectacles
Blind Boy Spectacles is a stage name of Matej Krajnc (Matt Kaye) for his gospel and blues work. He records under that name for the indie label Slušaj najglasnije!.
Kaye came up with the name of Blind Boy Spectacles out of respect for old blues and gospel singers. He first used the name in 2006 for the recording of the Country Gospel album because of the possible confusion with his other work as a singer-songwriter, writer, critic and translator. After joining the Slušaj najglasnije! label in 2010, he decided to continue his more gospel and blues oriented work in English under that name. His gospel opus is among the most notable works in the field of the modern European gospel and blues history, especially in the ex-Yugoslav countries, based on the reviews of a renowned Croatian music portal Terapija.net.
Albums and EPs
- Country Gospel (album) (2006)
- Blues Session (EP) (2014)
- Gospel Session (album) (2015)
- Gospel Archives (EP) (2016)
- B. B. S. (album) (2016)
- Milky White Way (EP) (2017)
- Pickin’ The Gospel (album) (2018)
- Blind Barnabus, 2018
- "Do Meje z Matejem-dvanajstimi sendviki". Slovenskenovice.si (Google translation) Retrieved 2016-6-18
- "Matej Krajnc". Rtvslo.si (Google translation) Retrieved 2016-6-19
- "Pogovor z Matejem Krajncem". Poiesis.si (Google translation) Retrieved 2016-6-18
- "Matt Kaye – Bio – Matej Krajnc". matejkrajnc.com. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "Matej Krajnc – Domača stran Mateja Krajnca". matejkrajnc.com. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- "Home". terapija.net. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- "mjuzik - MATEJ KRAJNC: Blind Boy Spectacles Blues Session, EP". terapija.net. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- "mjuzik - MATEJ KRAJNC: Blind Boy Spectacles Gospel Session". terapija.net. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- "mjuzik - BLIND BOY SPECTACLES: Gospel Archives, EP". terapija.net. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- "mjuzik - MATEJ KRAJNC: Milky White Way, EP (kot Blind Boy Spectacles)". terapija.net. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- "Matt Kaye – discography". Matej Krajnc. Retrieved 2018-08-08.