||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
February 17, 1982 |
Long Island, New York, United States
Matt Levine (born February 17, 1982) is an American entrepreneur and restaurateur known for his ventures in branding and hospitality. Matt Levine is the owner of SoHo market to table restaurant, Chalk Point Kitchen and classic cocktail lounge and piano bar The Handy Liquor Bar, Levine owns a leading downtown New York City inspired food and beverage company, indieFORK. Known as one of the forerunners of New York City progression, Matt Levine has led some of the most popular restaurants in Manhattan to success over the last decade. Previously, Levine was the owner of the Lower East Side Manhattan lounge, The Eldridge, and creator of Steelo', a high-end men's clothing collection. Levine's hospitality portfolio also includes NYC restaurant Sons of Essex. Acclaimed Food & Beverage website Culintro praised Levine commenting “Levine’s restaurants are high-profile and highly creative in both concept and execution.” His other venture, Brandsway Creative, is a branding & marketing firm based out of Manhattan, New York.
Steelo', created by Levin in 2004 and dismantled in 2008, was a men’s clothing collection sold in various high-end boutiques, such as Beam Japans, Holt Renfrew Canada Fred Segal Los Angeles, and Atrium New York voted one of the "Top 20 Brands in the World" by the World Global Style Network. Steelo' apparel has been featured in People and OK! magazines as well in a series of other men's publications and red carpet events.
Opened by Levine in 2008, the Eldridge is a bar/lounge in the Lower East Side of New York City. The lounge has since received a lot of press regarding its exclusivity, with Fox News calling it a "club that even famous people can't get into." Reportedly only 400 of Levine's most esteemed acquaintances received "VIP admission cards, such as Jay-Z and Beyonce." Known for its live music, celebrity patrons, lavish interior, and used bookstore exterior, The Eldridge has been both praised and criticized for its stringent door policies. In 2008, The Eldridge was voted "Best Display of Marketing Genius" by The Village Voice. In early 2011, The New York Post reported that Levine sold The Eldridge with plans to open a new restaurant in the same area.
In 2010, Levine and business partner Kelly Brady founded Brandsway (sp?)Creative, a branding, marketing, and public relations firm based out of Manhattan New York. Brandsway Creative represents such supermodels as Victor Secret model Jessica Hart Nicole Trunfio and Jessica White.
Sons of Essex
Sons of Essex, named Best of 2011 by Food by Thrillist and favorite comfort foods of 2012 by Restaurant Girl, was opened by Matt Levine and Michael Shah in October 2011 in New York City’s Lower East Side. Levine launched Sons of Essex by calling in his friends for a viral video in support, including Bryan Greenberg, Chloe Sevigny, Jeremy Piven, and Padma Lakshmi.
The restaurant is frequented by celebrities such as Padma Lakshmi, Ashley Greene, Justin Bieber, Liv Tyler, Penn Badgley, Zoe Kravitz, Jason Segal, Courtney Love, Pink, Carey Hart, Felix Baumgartner, Sting, and Blake Lively.
On June 18, Justin Bieber celebrated the release of his record-breaking album Believe at Sons of Essex with around 75 people.
In 2012 Levine and Shah opened Cocktail Bodega in the Lower East Side of New York. Cocktail Bodega serves liquor-blended smoothies and spiked fresh-squeezed juices; its menu is a “creative and innovative take on traditional street food."
Societe Perrier wrote "There are only but so many concepts a bar can assume without being cliche or overly complicated. With Cocktail Bodega, owner Matt Levine has evaded both."
Named one of the best of September 2012 by Thrillist.
Cocktail Bodega was ranked first on Equinox's list of New York City's healthiest cocktails and has been described as "Jamba Juice meets Margaritaville." The NY Post credited Cocktail Bodega with having one of the cities best immune boosting cocktails, and Refinery29 dubbed the concept "genius."
Chalk Point Kitchen
Chalk Point Kitchen is Levine's first SoHo restaurant, helmed by Michelin Star executive Chef Joe Isidori with an expertise in sustainable seafood, working with local purveyors, and "serving greenmarket-driven fare with a variety of Asian influences, in a space that resembles a country cottage." Zagat was quoted as saying "The menu will also emphasize organic and locally produced ingredients, with a list of vendors includes well-loved local companies like Satur Farms, Blue Marble Ice Cream, Battenkill Valley Creamery, Grand Daisy Bakery and the Lobster Place."
Levine launched the restaurant via a YouTube vide which was first released on Food Republic, showcasing all of the local markets in SoHo. And since opening has been featured in WWD, Vogue, Interview, and Vanity Fair. Vanity Fair reviewed Chalk Point Kitchen, stating "Matt Levine's newest, carefully curated creation has come to play. Located on Broome Street, just shy of SoHo's main hustle, Chalk Point Kitchen is a great escape for diners who want to feel right at home. The eclectic, yet warm atmosphere is nicely complimented by a knowledgeable, unpretentious staff and delicious, flavorful ingredients." WWD labeled Levine "Lord of Local" and "the real deal".
Since opening Chalk Point Kitchen has received 3 stars from TimeOut New York, "Top 'Farm-to-Table' Restaurant in New York City" by WellandGoodNYC, "Best New Restaurants in NYC" by Guest of a Guest, as well as 1 of 25 New Restaurants in New York City, and fashion blog Opening Ceremony naming it "As Local as it Gets". Chalk Point Kitchen was awarded as the official host and partner of Food Network's New York Food & Wine Festival, hosting its "Farm Country Flavors" Dinner — New York Food & Wine Festival and "Farm-to-Table Fusion".
The Handy Liquor Bar
Prior to opening Vogue featured The Handy Liquor Bar, stating "There's a decent chance that a bar will be successful if Tilda Swinton, Christy Turlington, and the Opening Ceremony crew are regulars—before it's even open to the public." To date its regulars, such guests as Denzel Washington, Nicolas Cage, Patti Smith, Pink, Richard Gere, Sofia Coppola, Tilda Swinton and former LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. "Named after Thomas Handy, the creator of the Sazerac cocktail, this vintage piano lounge exudes sophistication. Along the mahogany walls, you'll find framed classic rock and roll photos taken by famous photographer Bob Gruen as well as other musical knickknacks." The Handy Liquor Bar was awarded “Best New Bars for Spring” by CBS as well as "Best SoHo Cocktail Bar" by New York Magazine. The New York Times Fashion & Style section: “create a lavishly appointed spot for locals, albeit one where boldface names make an occasional appearance.”
Named a “nightlife guru” by both Gotham Magazine and Instyle Magazine New York Magazine states “Levine’s celebrity-packed Rolodex offering up enough Page Six who’s who sightings to merit the “in” crowd’s stamp of approval.” Mr. Levine is known for throwing secret underground parties and raves in the Lower East Side of Manhattan feat. surprise performances and DJs. The venue, the DJ's, and the performers are kept secret until the day of. He's also known for his creative branding, such as the racy "Sons of Essexads" posters used to promote a new late night menu. Posters were plastered throughout the Lower East Side with photos of female hipsters models eating cheeseburgers Additionally, Levine has also been know to embrace original videos as a means of promotion, as he's done for Sons of Essex.
Levine was labeled a "style innovator" by Conde Nast
Levine's small business restaurant marketing was acknowledged by American Express as well as Bank of American labeled Levine a "serial entrepreneur" stating "Matt Levine is one of those guys—cool, hip, and seemingly born with a gift for creating and launching the next big thing." Gotham recently named Matt Levine one of New York City's "100 most eligible bachelors."
The Fashion Spot named Levine a "downtown influencer" and a "major player in the Lower East Side nighlife scene."
Named a "trendsetter" nightlife impressionario by Julib.com and is listed as the unofficial mayor of New York City's Lower East Side.
Named to Top 20 Hamptonites List by Hamptons Magazine
Levine was one of the judges for Miss New York USA 2013
- Fabricant, Florence (2014-04-01). "Tessa Opens, a Restaurant With a 'Mostly Mediterranean' Approach". The New York Times.
- Ashley Lee. "New in NYC: The Handy Liquor Bar Serves Sazerac Cocktails and Rock Photography (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "New York City Business News & Events — Announcements & Events in New York City — NearSay".
- "The Eldridge — New York Hot Spots — Travel Like A Star — Celebrity". InStyle Magazine. 2008-12-11. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- "Interview: Matt Levine, Restaurateur and Industry Night Host". The Culintro Blog.
- Thorp, Charles (2010-07-26). "NiteTalk: Matt Levine of The Eldridge Says Venue Isn't "Game-Changing"". NBC New York. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- Vuong, Jess (2008-03-06). "Fashion 2011: Interview with Matt Levine of STEELO". FashionIndie. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- "Steelo' Clothing has Star Quality". KITMEOUT E-Magazine. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- "Steelo Press clippings". Steelo.us. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- "Steelo' on the Red Carpet". LIFE Magazine. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- McKay, Holly (2008-10-24). "The Clubs That Even Famous People Can't Get Into". Fox News. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- "The Eldridge NYC 247 Eldridge Street, New York, NY 10002". Joonbug.com. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- "Caught in the Act! (Beyonce & Jay-Z at The Eldridge)". People Magazine. 2010-01-29. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- James, Amber (2010-11-26). "Famous Celebrity Hangouts: The Eldridge". PopEater. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- "Review: The Eldridge". NY Barfly. 2008-09-04. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- "New York Best Display of Marketing Genius — Matt Levine for the Eldridge — Best Of New York". Village Voice. 2008-10-14. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- "End of Eldridge". New York Post. 2011-03-10. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- Solish, Scott (2010-03-29). "Checking In With The Eldridge's Matt Levine". Eater NY. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- "Brandsway Creative Partners with Pencey to Promote our Favorite Looks | Haute Living Magazine". Hauteliving.com. 2010-03-23. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- "Brandsway Creative — JESS HART".
- "Nicole Trunfio".
- "Best of 2011: Food". Thrillist Washington DC. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Freeman, Danyelle. "Our Favorite Comfort Foods 2012". Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Garcia, Jennifer (2011-10-27). "Matt Levine's Sons of Essex Now Open". CurbedNetwork.
- "Sons of Essex". Eater NY.
- Morabito, Greg (2011-10-27). "Padma Lakshmi Gets a Surprise (Belated) Birthday Bash". People.
- Urmey, Alice (2011-11-18). "Kid Rock Digs Into Lobster Macaroni and Cheese at Lexington Brass; the Twilight Cast Parties at Sons of Essex". CurbedNetwork.
- "Justin Bieber's Private Dinner Party At Sons Of Essex Without Selena Gomez". Hollywood Life. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- Kay, Hellin. "Sons of Essex". Champagne and Heels. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Melas, Chloe (9 October 2011). "Penn Badgley & Zoe Kravtiz's Full-On Makeout Session At NYC Hotspot!". Hollywood Life. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Jason Segel, Padma Lakshmi Mingle at a Movie Party in N.Y.C.". People Magazine. 4 March 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Sightings". New York Post. 17 March 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Sons Of Essex — One Of Our Favorite NYC Hotspots Of 2012 - Hollywood Life". Hollywood Life.
- "Felix Baumgartner -- Jumps Into the NYC Scene". http://www.tmz.com. External link in
- "Leonardo DiCaprio's model girlfriend Erin Heatherton skips Angel Ball gala and chance to face his ex Bar Refaeli". Daily News. New York.
- "Going Haywire — Parties — Vogue". Vogue Magazine. Vogue. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "[PICS] Justin Bieber’s Private Dinner Party At Sons Of Essex — Hollywood Life". Hollywood Life.
- Goodman, Jillian (2012-08-19). "Fall Nightlife Preview". New York Magazine.
- "NYC Gets Juiced Over Cocktail Bodega [Gallery]". United States.
- http://www.thrillist.com/2012_best_of_the_best_september_ny[EM1] [EM1]added
- "Cheers to your health". Q by Equinox. 26 September 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Cocktail Bodega Coming to 205 Chrystie Street". Bowery Boogie.
- "Cocktail cure-alls". New York Post. 2013-01-06.
- "Cocktail Bodega Opens In LES — Matt Levine Cocktail Bodega". Refinery29.
- "Exclusive First Look: Matt Levine's Chalk Point Kitchen".
- "Grab a Seat: Chalk Point Kitchen and The Handy Liquor Bar Open in SoHo".
- "Video: Going Shopping Around Chinatown With Joe Isidori". Food Republic.
- "Video: Going Shopping Around Chinatown With Joe Isidori". Food Republic.
- Taylor Harris. "Feast for the Eye: Chalk Point Kitchen Sets Up Shop in SoHo". WWD.
- "On our radar: Chalk Point Kitchen and The Handy Liquor Bar". Time Out New York.
- "And you thought you knew farm-to-table... - Well+Good". Well+Good.
- "NYC's Best New Restaurants For Spring 2014". Guest of a Guest.
- "25 New Restaurants to Try in New York".
- "Chalk Point Kitchen, As Local As it Gets".
- "The Handy: A New Cocktail Lounge and Piano Bar in SoHo — Vogue". Vogue.
- "NYC-based The Handy Liquor Bar to serve cocktails at Amber Lounge during the Monaco F1 Grand Prix".
- "E.S.P.’s Best New Bars For Spring".
- "Where to Drink 2014 - Best Neighborhood Bars -- New York Magazine". NYMag.com.
- "Trendy Places to Brunch in New York City".
- "The Eldridge — New York Hot Spots — InStyle.com". InStyle.com.
- "Sons of Essex". NYMag.com.
- "Socially Superlative – #LESbeat: "One Night in Chinatown" Presented by Red Bull with Brandsways Creative". Socially Superlative.
- Julian Kimble. "Red Bull Presents: #LESbeat: "One Night in Chinatown" on 8/30". Complex.
- "Racy Sons of Essex Ads Promote New Late Night Menu". Bowery Boogie.
- "6 Lessons From a YouTube-Savvy Restaurant". Mashable. 17 August 2012.
- "6 Insider Tips on Using YouTube". OPEN Forum.
- "Business Startups: Q&A with Serial Entrepreneur Matt Levine: Small Business Community".
- "Black Book: 100 Most Eligible Bachelors in NYC". Gotham Magazine. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- Feiereisen, Sharon. "Downtown Influencer: An Interview with Matthew Levine". The Fashion Spot. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Golden, Marni. "20 Hamptonites: Summer Essentials". Hamptons. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Solomon, Serena. "'Miss Hell's Kitchen' Set to Represent New York in Miss USA Pageant". DNA Info New York. Retrieved 21 January 2013.