Born: January 28, 1998|
Elk Grove, California
Manning attended Sheldon High School in Sacramento, California. He committed to attend Loyola Marymount University. The Detroit Tigers selected Manning with the ninth overall selection of the 2016 Major League Baseball draft. Manning signed with the Tigers, receiving a $3,505,800 signing bonus, the exact slot value for the ninth overall pick. After signing, the Tigers assigned him to the GCL Tigers, where he spent the whole 2016 season, posting an 0-2 record and 3.99 ERA in ten games started. In 2017, Manning spent time with both the Connecticut Tigers and the West Michigan Whitecaps, pitching to a combined 4-2 record and 3.18 ERA with 62 strikeouts in 14 total starts (51 total innings) between both teams.
- "Elk Grove Citizen : Archives > Sports > First family of Sheldon basketball". Elk Grove Citizen. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Sheldon pitcher Matt Manning's big-league moment is here". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- Sipple, George (June 9, 2016). "Tigers select prep pitcher Matt Manning with ninth overall pick". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- Mowery, Matthew B. (June 23, 2016). "Tigers sign No. 1 pick Matt Manning". The Oakland Press. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- "Matt Manning Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved February 18, 2018.
- "Sheldon's Matt Manning has glove affair with pitching". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved June 10, 2016.