Matt McCoy (politician)
|Member of the Iowa Senate
from the 21st district
|Assistant Majority Leader|
January 13, 1997
|Preceded by||Tony Bisignano|
|Member of the Iowa House of Representatives
from the 67th district
January 11, 1993 – January 13, 1997
|Succeeded by||Frank Chiodo|
March 29, 1966 |
Des Moines, Iowa
|Political party||Iowa Democratic Party|
|Residence||Des Moines, Iowa|
|Alma mater||Briar Cliff College|
|Profession||Vice President of Community Development, Downtown Development Corporation, President of Resource Development Consultants, State Senator|
Matthew W. "Matt" McCoy (born March 29, 1966) is the Iowa State Senator from the 21st District, which is composed of south and southwest Des Moines. A member of the Iowa Democratic Party, McCoy has served in the Iowa Senate since 1997. Prior to his service in the Iowa Senate, McCoy served in the Iowa House of Representatives from 1993-1997.
McCoy is the first openly gay member of the Iowa Legislature.
McCoy graduated from Dowling High School, and received his B.A. from Briar Cliff College in political science. McCoy serves as Vice President of Community Development, Downtown Development Corporation, and as President of Resource Development Consultants.
McCoy was a member of the Polk County Conservation Board from 1988 to 1995. He became an Eagle Scout in 1981. He is a member of the Interfaith Alliance, IPERS Investment Board member, and an ex officio member of the Capitol Planning Commission.
Iowa House and Senate
McCoy currently serves on several committees in the Iowa Senate – the committees on commerce, local government, transportation, appropriations (of which he is vice chair), and ways and means (which he also vice chairs). In addition, he serves as chair of the appropriations committee subcommittee on transportation, infrastructure, and capitals appropriations.
His prior political experience includes serving as a representative in the Iowa House of Representatives from 1993 to 1997 and serving on the
McCoy has one son, Jack, and worships at Plymouth Congregational Church.
- "Official Results Report - 2006 General Election" (PDF). Iowa Secretary of State. State of Iowa. November 21, 2006.
- "McCoy Indicted On Extortion Charge". KCCI. Des Moines, Iowa. March 29, 2007.
- "Jurors Reach Verdict In McCoy Trial". KCCI. Des Moines, Iowa. December 13, 2007.
- Ferkenhoff, Eric (April 18, 2004). "Iowa governor weighs fight on gay appointee". The Boston Globe.
- Clayworth, Jason (October 16, 2006). "Contenders talk up plans for education, avoid sexuality". Des Moines Register.
- "Matt McCoy - Candidate for Iowa State Senate". Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund. Archived by the Internet Archive. March 28, 2007. Archived from the original on March 28, 2007.
- McCoy for Senate official site
- Senator Matt McCoy official Iowa Legislature site
- Senator Matt McCoy official Iowa General Assembly site
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
|Iowa House of Representatives|